Suggestion "Class Reports" A new ULTRA green sub-forum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
lowviz

lowviz

Solo Diver
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Background:
I just returned from a course with another SB'er. Just the two of us, this was the second time I had the great privilege to take an extended course with another SB female diver. Two ladies with very different personalities, both delightful in their enthusiasm to progress in this sport. Neither course was rushed, both courses were very enjoyable and worthwhile, much down-time to talk.

The issue:
It seems that there are a LOT of new divers who won't post here because they don't want any negativity. I see their point. Take OW, full of enthusiasm, join SB, and are immediately overwhelmed with the amount of advanced material. Thus they initially feel that they have nothing to contribute. Worse yet, some of them try a post and then another poster makes them feel that they have to defend what they said (while knowing that anything further will just make things worse). This is a big deal for a lot of people.

So we as a community lose their experiences and they lose the chance to enjoy sharing. I have it on good authority that these experiences ARE shared, but on 'underground' channels that I will never divulge.

Suggestion:
So, how about adding a VERY STRICTLY moderated sub-forum that tolerates absolutely no negativity and no back-references (to what was posted by the OP) in more advanced forums?

Additionally, this wouldn't be a required sub-forum for all class reports. I put my class report in "Solo Divers" as I really don't mind challenges to what I post, and, well, that is how I dive...

I no longer post trip reports. Any post that is the slightest negative about a much loved op or dive destination will draw out the lynch mob. Ridiculous but it happens.

I also could’ve posted a Fundies report. I purposefully chose not to. I don’t want to have to deal with the resulting crap.

Sorry for sounding so negative but that’s what I’ve experienced. Most sb’ers are great. The bad ones ruin it unfortunately.

The bad ones are really bad. DD at least is permabanned.

Is anyone starting to see the pattern here?

Rodger that.......Marie13! I should thank YOU for my heatstroke. It was on your recommendation I bought the hotbox! Dang that is a nice suit.........Love it.

You’re supposed to get into your suit, get in the water to cool off, then get geared up and in the water quickly. I do that off the dive boat all the time. I always run hot, and the hot flashes make it worse. Thank goodness for the cold water up here.

How many of the old mossbacks here are likely to report?

What I'm saying is that, from what I see, no one reports. Perhaps a campaign to advertise the report button and its use, especially in basic, will bring about the change you want without a new forum, which may develop the same issue for the same reason.

We've all been here so long we forget just how sensitive a newbie can be.

Guilty, but to be fair, I had to put up the same abuse in person before the recreational internet became a thing. I try not to be the jerk to others that I had to put up with back when...

And Dogbowl is no newbie, just doesn't need the 'crap' so there won't be any sharing.

And that is a shame, as well as those will we never hear from at all.

Bob

The golden rule is under attack lately. Being careful to word things so others aren't hurt is viewed as political correctness by those that would rather "speak their mind" or "be blunt". Add to that the challenge of judging the intended tone in written words that are often thumbed out on a phone while killing time and you have a large potential for hurt feelings.

As a mod I believe that our members should be protected from unwanted harsh criticism dressed in "trying to help you" clothing. Often class reports are for tech courses and are in the tech forums(such was the case with dewdropsonrosa's class report) where, right or wrong, the green zone rules don't apply. Perhaps that should change. There is a culture in the tech diving world that is more accepting of harsh criticism of self and others and it is viewed as important to learning. (not unlike the way military pilots critique mistakes without pulling punches or feeling insulted) I don't personally agree and feel the diver that is new to tech is still new and we can't help the ones we run off. Anything that needs to be said can be said with kindness.

The report function is very important. If one feels attacked and decides to defend themselves with keyboard blazing, the escalation ruins the thread until a mod steps in and deletes a bunch of posts, many of which may also include valuable input. It is always best to report the problem and let it go. Others will see what happened and when you show you can let challenges roll off your back, the people that matter most will gain respect for you. Staying calm under stress and choosing the most effective course of action is a valuable asset as a diver. Never wallow in the mud with a pig. The pig likes it and you just look muddy in the end.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom