Suggestions for Feb. sightseeing and diving Sydney and Cairns/GBR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Torontonian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I are flying to Sydney 2020 Feb. 6, and will board NCL Jewel to cruise Australia/NZ on Feb. 14.

I'd like to dive the GBR, so I understand we should fly to Cairns for a few days, before coming back to SYD. We're in late 50's, first time to Australia, so we'd like some sightseeing too. If going on liveaboard, I'm the only one diving. My non-diving wife can snorkel but only with guide and calm water. What are good 3 (max 4) day liveaboards?

Hotels in Cairns are a lot cheaper than Sydney. After we get on the cruise ship, it also stays one night in Sydney so we still have Feb. 15 to tour around Sydney. Should we spend most of the time around Cairns, or come back to SYD earlier?

Thanks.

Hi,
Being from Melbourne Sydney is not my first choice for anything
And it has been a long time since I have been to Cairns.

Having said that I do think the best GBR experience will be on a live aboard. From what I have seen of day boats they seem to be cattle trucks, and because of the distances involved dive closer to shore. However they may be a better choice for a snorkeller

I am assuming your wife does not get sea sick, if you are thinking about a live aboard. I was on a liveaboard out of Cairns years ago, and the wife in the next cabin who was not a diver was sick for the whole 4 days. I believe she was threatening to swim to shore

You may want to think about the weather. Cairns will be hotter, wetter and more humid than Sydney, but it will be warm rain. You are also in the tropics in the Cyclone season and while you would have to be very unlucky to strike a cyclone you may find any trips changed at short notice.

If you are going that far north the the wreck of the Yongala just south of Townsville is well worth thinking about. Day trips with Yongala Dive at Alva Beach seems to be the best option. We dived with them last year.

Flying in Australia can be interesting, Tiger who are usually the cheapest seem to frequently leave passengers stranded when they cancel flight or re-schedule them to times that do not suit you, if a flight is cancelled it may be days before they will find you an alternate flight. Quantas is good and reliable, but usually the highest price

Another option is a road trip to the NSW North Coast, there is good temperate water diving at the North and the South Solitary Islands around Coff’s Harbour. South West Rocks is another nice spot.

As a Cairns local if you are looking at a liveaboard maybe consider Ocean Quest or Reef Encounter. Both are larger vessels offering decent lounge areas and sre like floating hotels. 1 or 2 night options so would suit your wife.

Lots to do out of Cairns too. Skyrail, Tjabukai cultural centre ( wins tourism awards ever year ), rainforest etc etc. Just Google the area.

I'v
My wife and I are flying to Sydney 2020 Feb. 6, and will board NCL Jewel to cruise Australia/NZ on Feb. 14.

I'd like to dive the GBR, so I understand we should fly to Cairns for a few days, before coming back to SYD. We're in late 50's, first time to Australia, so we'd like some sightseeing too. If going on liveaboard, I'm the only one diving. My non-diving wife can snorkel but only with guide and calm water. What are good 3 (max 4) day liveaboards?

Hotels in Cairns are a lot cheaper than Sydney. After we get on the cruise ship, it also stays one night in Sydney so we still have Feb. 15 to tour around Sydney. Should we spend most of the time around Cairns, or come back to SYD earlier?

Thanks.

I've just returned from a 3-night GBR fly-dive liveaboard with the Spoilsport and I'd highly recommend them. The crew are fantastic, really helpful and friendly, and the twin hull design minimises any chance of sea sickness. The cabins are ensuite and the food is also great.

Their 3-night safaris include a low level scenic flight over the GBR, which is stunning and low enough you can spot manta rays and other marine life below. It also includes a visit to Lizard Island National Park, which is beautiful and remote. I loved the whole experience.

The dive sites on the fly-dive safaris are really healthy and also suitable for snorkelers in most cases. The pinnacles come close to the surface, making it easy to spot fish and corals from above as a snorkeler. The Spoilsport also has guides available who are more than happy to accompany you in the water if needed.

Once you're back on land in Cairns, I'd suggest these additions:

• A day trip to Daintree Rainforest and Cape Tribulation. You can join a tour or drive there yourself (2hr approx drive). It's the oldest rainforest in the world and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. You can also do a mangrove tour to see saltwater crocodiles and explore the rainforest from the main entry point at Mossman Gorge.

• For beach time, I'd recommend Clifton Beach just 20 mins drive north of Cairns. You can stay at this peaceful beach, which has a promenade to two of Australia's best beaches: Palm Cove and Trinity Beach. It's idyllic.

Will you be doing any diving in New Zealand?

Kathryn

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm looking into them. We did do a 3D/2N liveaboard (MV Sea Heaven) from Kao Lac, Thailand before. My wife doesn't get sea sick. At times I did have to take motion sickness pills. But it went well that time.

I've rented car to drive in many places, but I'm hesitant to drive on the left side there, so probably won't go to Yongala.

We haven't booked SYD-CNS flights yet. After getting to SYD Feb. 6 morning, we're thinking to go to CNS same day so we don't have to stay 1-2 nights in SYD. Rest 1 day, and go on liveaboard on Feb. 8 or after. Checking liveaboard , it shows Spoilsport, Spirit of Freedom, Ocean Quest and others not available. Only Pro Dive Cairns has 3D/2N, while Coral Sea Dreaming and Rum Runner has 2D/1N. So it seems only Pro Dive Cairns is the only choice for 3D/2N, on Feb. 8, am I looking at this right? If so I guess I should book it now.

For our cruise port stops in NZ (Dunedin, Akaroa, Wellington), I'm thinking to tour the area rather than diving -- unless there are some must do diving there.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm looking into them. We did do a 3D/2N liveaboard (MV Sea Heaven) from Kao Lac, Thailand before. My wife doesn't get sea sick. At times I did have to take motion sickness pills. But it went well that time.

I've rented car to drive in many places, but I'm hesitant to drive on the left side there, so probably won't go to Yongala.

We haven't booked SYD-CNS flights yet. After getting to SYD Feb. 6 morning, we're thinking to go to CNS same day so we don't have to stay 1-2 nights in SYD. Rest 1 day, and go on liveaboard on Feb. 8 or after. Checking liveaboard , it shows Spoilsport, Spirit of Freedom, Ocean Quest and others not available. Only Pro Dive Cairns has 3D/2N, while Coral Sea Dreaming and Rum Runner has 2D/1N. So it seems only Pro Dive Cairns is the only choice for 3D/2N, on Feb. 8, am I looking at this right? If so I guess I should book it now.

For our cruise port stops in NZ (Dunedin, Akaroa, Wellington), I'm thinking to tour the area rather than diving -- unless there are some must do diving there.

Yes, you're looking at that right if you need to join on Feb 8. Pro Dive get great reviews and they have a well stocked dive shop in Cairns as well - they were recommended to me by Spoilsport for dive kit.

All 3 liveaboars you mentioned visit different areas of the outer reef so the dive sites should be in great condition. There's some more information about the different Great Barrier Reef dive areas at that link, which might help you choose.

If you still wanted to do a low level scenic flight you can always arrange that with a tour company in Cairns itself. The same applies for Daintree & Cape Trip - you can book beforehand online with various tour guides or arrange it in Cairns.

That's great re motion sickness - makes it a lot easier and much more fun.

Thanks,

Kathryn

A

I hit send before I'd finished...

Also, if you need sunscreen whilst you're there you can pick up reef-safe MooGoo sunscreen in the pharmacies and supermarkets. I've been trialling various reef-safe ones in the harsh Australian sun this year and MooGoo is fantastic.

Your cruise is stopping at some great places in NZ - Wellington and Akaroa are stunning. There is some great diving in NZ but the best is up north in the Bay of Islands off Pahia and at the Poor Knight Islands off Tutukaka in Northland.

If you have a chance to dive the Poor Knights, don't miss it! Cousteau rated it as one of the world's best dives and it's magnificent during the summer months when you're in NZ. I highly recommend a day diving there - which you can do from Tutukaka in a day.

Other than that, I'd focus on touring as the other top dives are more tucked away and inaccessible if you're short on time.

Thanks for that recommendation. Whilst that brand doesn't contain oxybenzone (the most common ingredient that is thought to harm coral reefs), there are also other ingredients in there that it is recommended to avoid to protect coral reefs from harm.

In case you're interested, the easiest way to get reef-safe sunscreen is to go with mineral blockers as the active ingredient rather than chemical sunscreens. For example, MooGoo, Stream 2 Sea, Raw Elements etc. For the NZ/AU sun I personally trust MooGoo as others (not listed but thoroughly researched and tested) didn't perform well in such harsh sun trials.

Thanks,

Kathryn

. So it seems only Pro Dive Cairns is the only choice for 3D/2N, on Feb. 8, am I looking at this right? If so I guess I should book it now.

No that is not correct. I am Cairns local and there are a few options for 3 Day 2 night. Ocean Quest is out for refit around Feb 8th but Reef Encounter is available. It has daily departures (via a transfer vessel) and also a great variety of sites.

Drop me a PM if you need more specific info othersie I have put in a link

Spirit of Freedom and Mike Ball only depart Mondays and Thursdays so unless you are flexible with the date then Scubapro or Reef Encounter would be the best option.

Back
Top Bottom