Galapagos in October - Suit suggestion 5mm+2mm or D9 or else

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BTSharkBait

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

I will be on Galapagos Sky in October.. However, I am debating which suit to bring onboard.

Water temp around lower 70s for wolf and darwin (3 days)
high 50s to low 60s for other places.

I currently have two options in my wardrobe that kind of fits the bill:

Option #1. Scubapro Everflex 5/4mm plus Waterproof U1 2/5mm hooded vest

Option #2. Waterproof D9 (not D9X) drysuit.

Skill-wise, I am comfortable in both suits. Haven't done super strong current dive in drysuit, but did plenty current dive in wetsuit and 30+ normal dives in dry.

The concern here is obviously I will be cold in wetsuit. Wolf/Darwin I should be ok.. but western islands will be tough.

Drysuit will obviously be more comfortable, but D9 is not a suit to take much abuse by any means. I know Galapagos will have lots of dives scraping rocks... a leaked drysuit sounds colder than a wetsuit.

Air consumption is also a consideration. Not sure if drysuit itself + drag consumes more air or being cold in wetsuit...

Given this, should I tough it out and do 5mm+2mm wet? or take my chances to go dry, or go buy a new 7mm or Semi-dry (thinking either Everflex 7mm, Waterproof W4 7mm or Waterproof SD Combat)?

I only use drysuit for local dives, and 5mm/3mm/skin for travel to other destinations. I can't really see the use of a 7mm/Semidry outside Galapagos trip.

(Potention Option #3 go buy a new 7mm or Semi-dry)

My trip May 2019. 5mil with 2 mil optional vest. Cressi Pentagon 5 mil and Henderson 2 mil vest. Be prepared to have your wetsuit nicked, torn and well rubbed while on the trip from holding onto Lava Rocks. I would not recommend expensive wetsuit. Drysuit is not necessary and is PIA in the currents and while holding onto the rocks. Just my experience. Enjoy

Hi Bama - Sky is a great boat - you'll love her and especially the hot showers on the dive deck between dives. I have always used a 3/5 with a polartec vest and hood and 2nd thin hood over that. Cool in the central islands but Darwin & Wolf are much warmer and never missed a dive. Probably the Mola Mola dive off Isabela will be the coolest water but you do not do 4 dives that day so it should not a be a problem. I would stick with your 5/4 and vest but if the vest does not have an attached hood, it might be worth bringing a polartec hood and then a 2nd hood over that - its thru your head and neck that you lose most heat. Enjoy the adventure.

I'm diving the Galapagos in early September and bringing my drysuit which I bought last year to specifically train in for this trip. I told my instructor and dive shop about this in regards to the rocks down there and he specifically picked out a Bare trilaminate which looks pretty tough with knee pads. I've been using it to dive in Canadian waters all summer down to 9 degrees and have been pretty comfortable in it. Galapagos will seem balmy compared to the 9 degrees I've been diving in this summer up here in Canada.

Back
Top Bottom