http://www.diveheart.org/

Lusitania dive accident - insufficient insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim was a fixture around Tobermory for many years. He pushed way back into a miserable little sump known as Leopard Frog Cave. We were talking about him over drinks just last weekend.

This a ****** news.

The reports mention Cork and Galway. Both of these are located in the Republic of Ireland (as opposed to Northern Ireland).

The Republic of Ireland uses the euro and is not part of the UK.

Not sure how this affects hospitalization or DAN insurance, but referencing UK practice may not apply...

The reports mention Cork and Galway. Both of these are located in the Republic of Ireland (as opposed to Northern Ireland).

The Republic of Ireland uses the euro and is not part of the UK.

Not sure how this affects hospitalization or DAN insurance, but referencing UK practice may not apply...
In Ireland either it is all free or you pay a flat fee per visit with a per year limit. The provision is like the UK.

People from the US see the cost of medical care as a big deal, whereas in both the UK and Ireland we see the consequences as a big deal. In particular not being able to work is a huge financial problem.

I have dived off Cork, medical cover was not an issue, I would have free treatment until Brexit. Getting home on the other hand might be somewhat expensive.

All emergency treatment in Ireland is free. Helicopter, lifeboat, naval service, hospitals and chamber and all medical care until he is discharged is free if he needs it. It’s base on need. (financial need, if you can’t pay you don’t pay.)

Yeah, I agree. DAN is a member owned & driven organization, even tho some directors have made fortunes on their involvements at times, and insurance products supplied are furnished by outside companies that bid for the business. Their dive insurance is the only one I like, but I consider it essential for US & Canadian residents.

I presume he had top tier DAN accident insurance for this trip. The top plan in Canada has limits tho, and he may well exceed all of them! He's had two brain surgeries, etc.
See DAN | insurance: dive

I think UK's medical insurance is for UK citizens. I would not expect anything free if I was there.
Morning Dan. You will get attended to for free in UK by National Health Service. Ongoing care or other transport might be down to yr insurers. We have helo's here too. K

Tragic news...

Kim's stories of diving the Andrea Doria always fascinated me when he brought his cylinders into the dive shop in Muskoka for service...usually 16/18 cylinders at a time...

Wishing you all the very best in your recovery...

Warren...

I presume he had top tier DAN accident insurance for this trip. The top plan in Canada has limits tho, and he may well exceed all of them! He's had two brain surgeries, etc.
See DAN | insurance: dive

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I have top tier DAN (and Dive Assure just for fun). If I type in that I am from USA it looks like the same coverage options to me. The only limitations are New York and Quebec. It looks like the injured diver is from Ontario. Which limitations are you referring to?

I know Kim personally...his life along with the life of his partner and all those close to them has been forever shattered...

Kim is a decorated hero...

I'm proud to say I know Kim...and I can't believe our luck has gotten this bad...

WM...

I have top tier DAN (and Dive Assure just for fun).
That sounds excessive for most, but maybe your diving warrants such?

If I type in that I am from USA it looks like the same coverage options to me. The only limitations are New York and Quebec. It looks like the injured diver is from Ontario. Which limitations are you referring to?
I may not understand your question. DAN Dive Insurance for US & Canada does include maximum limits for coverage, up to $500,000 USD. It seems to be the same for all Canadian provinces...

Canada.JPG

For the US, the greatest plans possible have not been approved in all states, so for residents of some (like New York & Texas), the limits are less...

US.JPG

Back
Top Bottom