A bit off topic but any Air Show Junkies here?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Prop Joe and @HKGuns by far, the loudest jet that I have ever heard was in the 1970s and 1980s, when the RAF would fly the Vulcan Bomber over to perform at the Toronto airshow.
The loudest aircraft I've ever heard was not a jet at all but a prop driven military cargo plane taking off with JATO rockets.

My dad was in the USAF in WWII. One day when I was a kid he and I were hanging around the house, and he suddenly got up and ran out into the front yard, saying as he went "There's nothing else in the world that sounds like that". It was a B-36 flying over at a pretty low altitude. He was right; I've never heard anything else that sounded like that.

I've just got home from the Giant Scale Fun Fly that got me started at the event photography thing. The winner of one of the sponsor prizes won a nice RV 4 and as he went up to accept it he announced he flies a full scale RV 8.Re the F 35 Demo jet it's scheduled to perform Locally Sept 6-8. I highly suspect that's to try to get our government to buy them. We had been thinking about it, then a new gov't got elected & cancelled the idea but now we need to upgrade our tired F 18's. I saw the F 22 perform at Trenton in 2016 & it was the loudest jet I've heard.

Def a junky, 28 yrs service USN/DOD aircraft artisan FRC East on board MCAS Cherry Point NC! I have not missed an airshow in thirty years and if you have never seen the Angles you have not been to an air show(just kidding) but the loudest aircraft to me is a toss up between an AV 8 hovering and a AE 6B Prowler on take off, now the Joint Strike Fighter F 35 is also very loud. Being from ENC and three air bases with in two hours drive I feel like an expert!!lol I like motorcycles but too old and broke up to ride them and love to shoot also. Oops off subject again btw I like to dive too.

Well after next weekends show I'll have the time to consider doing other things on my weekends which could include a trip where I could see the Blue Angels. My Saturdays (at least 3 our of every 4) have been spent at RC events for the last 10 years but someone I'd like to see again would be Skip Stewart performing in Cozumel again. That was quite the experience because we were right along the side of the runway.
IMG_5947v3.jpg

For the MODS:

This has been an interesting thread. I have enjoyed both reading it and contributing to it, however perhaps "Cozumel" might not be the best location for it. Should it maybe be moved to the Non-Diving Related Stuff forum?

Just a thought.

The reason I put it here is because it's just about the only area of Scubaboard I contribute to / use. I am known here so no one here would think I'm linking SPAM etc but if it should be moved by all means go for it.

The reason I put it here is because it's just about the only area of Scubaboard I contribute to / use. I am known here so no one here would think I'm linking SPAM etc but if it should be moved by all means go for it.
I never thought for an instant that it was SPAM. It is a great thread, just perhaps in the wrong spot.

We are going to take our kayaks out and watch the airshow on the water down at the Toronto islands in 2 weeks.

We are going to take our kayaks out and watch the airshow on the water down at the Toronto islands in 2 weeks.
Personally, I really wish that boats were not allowed to line up as spectators to the Toronto show.

Someone who I went to Basic Training with, Shane Antaya, was killed following a mid-air collision at the Toronto Airshow. Although never proven, the Flight Safety Team suspected the reason he didn't eject was that he chose to "ride it in" in an attempt to avoid anything hitting the spectators' boats in Lake Ontario. If the boats weren't there, he might have ejected and survived.

I have to admit that's something to consider when spectators are allowed on the water in what otherwise would be an open space. Are they allowed to be closer than spectators on the ground would be if it was say open farmland etc? I have attended that air show but that was in my early teens which was a very long time ago.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom