Keep hair out of mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@MAKO Spearguns @JohnnyC

On the very rare occasion I
use my semidry (or other hoods in the past) and dive cold, I like braiding my long hair and utilizing a Lycra swim cap to wrangle the braids and keep it in place from shifting and lassoing the small/short/stray hairs before I put on the hood. :)

Now that I have you here, Mako...A buddy was diving with your fins recently and I accidentally got a product shot. :)

78A0CE31-306E-4D0F-9F77-A3282DC5118D.jpeg

A scap. Thescap.com
It’s a thin neoprene cap that ties in the back of the head. If your hair is long you can tie it under a ponytail or braid. No ear flaps, no chokey chin strap. It keeps my hair under control and provides a little warmth without the bulk and chokiness of a hood. And comes in lots of colors and patterns.
My latest one is purple and has a turtle embroidered on it!

I use a band that I bought in Belize but they're made in Indonesia. The back, under my hair is elastic covered inthe fabric. The balance of the band is fabric that can be spread out to completely cover my head, which is great for keeping my part from sunburn too. I wear it lower on my forehead to catch the fly aways and keep my forehead from getting burnt.

I use a spandex beanie I got from Harley Davidson. But the key is to wet your hair with fresh water before you put on the beanie to make sure all those hairs are slicked back. I imagine if you wet your hair and combed it back before you put on your mask you'd eliminate the problem anyway - but if you want the hair to stay out of your way while diving you'll need something to hold it back.

@MAKO Spearguns @JohnnyC

On the very rare occasion I
use my semidry (or other hoods in the past) and dive cold, I like braiding my long hair and utilizing a Lycra swim cap to wrangle the braids and keep it in place from shifting and lassoing the small/short/stray hairs before I put on the hood. :)

Now that I have you here, Mako...A buddy was diving with your fins recently and I accidentally got a product shot. :)

View attachment 535565
Wow that is an awesome shot! ..Do we have permission to repost it elsewhere? Is there some attribution you would like? Thanks for sharing!

dano

I use a beanie or a hood. I have put ear holes in the hood - about 3/8 inch diameter - and have never had a problem with them tearing or getting bigger. Just cut holes with scissors.

I use a stretch hair comb that works extremely well to keep short or any hair out of a mask.

61lI2PjntkL._AC_SY400_.jpg

I just use one, but it shows that you can wear it as low or high as you want.
20190818_235303.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom