New Whale Shark Rules -- Question for those who have been

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We returned from our trip yesterday and I thought I would report back. The guidance folks provided here was both helpful and accurate. The life vest did not detract from the experience or from the opportunity to take pictures (granted, not a big focus for me), nor, with the judicious use of rash guards and draped towels, was the lack of sunscreen any problem. From what I observed (both on our charter and on neighboring boats), the rules (and thus the sharks) were carefully respected. There were a lot of whale sharks and they seemed perfectly comfortable with the boats and swimmers, frequently approaching and swooping under and around the boats.

It was worth doing at least once; wouldn't take much to persuade me to do it again.

Thanks to all for the help!

Glad that SB answers were helpful and that you enjoyed your experience. The topic of snorkeling excursions to see anything in particular or shark feeds creates lots of SB chatter. In the end, each decides on their interest and tolerance. Shark feeds may be a bit more controversial due to the current experiences of more "active" shark encounters, but in this case, just glad the SB comments were helpful and that you enjoyed.

Rob

We just returned from a trip last weekend and did the whaleshark tour. If you never have seen a whaleshark you might enjoy it. For us this was the second time. First trip was about 5 years ago when we were allowed to wear wetsuits and no PFD. This time I would say that although the PFD didn't really slow us down it did make it very difficult to get your head underwater and see the sharks. Very disappointing and also much more expensive this time. Also the tour operator only wanted to allow us in the water twice. We also saw several whalesharks with dorsal fins torn up. This will be the last time we do this.

Depending on the operator you may be able to wear a wetsuit instead of the vest...
Last time I did it I donned my 1mm full and 4 pounds on a weight belt. I asked in advance...
YMMV

Depending on the operator you may be able to wear a wetsuit instead of the vest...
Last time I did it I donned my 1mm full and 4 pounds on a weight belt. I asked in advance...
YMMV
Not happening now, the rules have changed. Every op was abiding by them too.

When we did it about 4-5 years ago they made us wear life vests. Still a great experience- in my opinion. Lots of drag and a lot of work to swim with them but still really enjoyed it. We did it at the end of the season and there were a handful of boats, but not a ton, as others had mentioned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom