How to choose a Cave Instructor - My opinion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was cave diving almost 20 years before I taught my first cavern class.

It takes experience to teach well. No way around it. Do you want your child being taught how to dive in an overhead environment by a guy who just learned himself how to dive in an overhead environment last month? I don't.

Could not agree with Superlyte more! Caves have claimed the life of many an OWSI. I posted here because of something that happened to me recently. Found out he just thought he could teach deco in a cave. Still does! only been full cave for 2 months according to agency. Maybe these guys think they are self certified -Scary stuff. Glad I checked.

Could not agree with Superlyte more! Caves have claimed the life of many an OWSI. I posted here because of something that happened to me recently. Found out he just thought he could teach deco in a cave. Still does! only been full cave for 2 months according to agency. Maybe these guys think they are self certified -Scary stuff. Glad I checked.

There was a guy around here a few years back that was teaching a fair amount of cavern courses at a well known dive destination. He hated cave diving, absolutely loathed it. I have emails archived where he kept saying "I don't get it, it's just a bunch of boring wet rocks." He was strictly in it for the money and because he had very little cave diving experience to draw on, he didn't know what he didn't know.

I hate to say it, but there are those guys out there....

I was cave diving almost 20 years before I taught my first cavern class.

It takes experience to teach well. No way around it. Do you want your child being taught how to dive in an overhead environment by a guy who just learned himself how to dive in an overhead environment last month? I don't.
True, but you know the reality is different.

@kensuf:
But why would you want to teach cavern if you hate caves? It is just the money? Are there no other courses you can earn money from that are more interesting?

It also takes actually teaching skill. Being the most fabulous diver on the planet doesnt necessarily make someone a good teacher or even a good mentor.

Diving skills and teaching skills are two different things.

I used to teach in 39 middle schools and high schools. The subject? Anger management, healthy choices and abstinence. My brother always reminded me that those who can't do... teach.

It also takes actually teaching skill. Being the most fabulous diver on the planet doesnt necessarily make someone a good teacher or even a good mentor.

Diving skills and teaching skills are two different things.
True.
And people who want and are motivated will get a higher level than people who think I can do it easy. You can learn skills, and you can learn teaching. But some are naturals. Some only in diving, others only in teaching. But the instructor without right divingskills is not the best instructor, then it is better to choose for a natural in both, or the one that has to work to get his skills and teaching on the right level.
I am one of the cave instructors that has to travel to dive caves. I live in a country without caves. But even then things are possible, if you want. Did one of my instructor courses in Florida, and the rest in France with German IT's. Started cavediving in Thailand where I did my full cave course (cavern, intro and full cave in 1 week as is normal here). So even that is possible. But you must want. It is not easy.

True, but you know the reality is different.

@kensuf:
But why would you want to teach cavern if you hate caves? It is just the money? Are there no other courses you can earn money from that are more interesting?

I love cave diving, been doing it for 25 years.

The guy I was talking about was only in it for the money. He also taught sidemount, but looked like an absolute trainwreck.

He eventually got kicked out of IANTD for a gross violation of standards.

I suggest people to go on "shake dives" with the prospective instructor to see if your personalities match.

There are no shortage of "social media nice guys and girls" out there who are super professional when talking to a camera but, in reality, are nothing but Jakyll/Hyde. Once you meet them, they are complete train wrecks.

There was a guy around here a few years back that was teaching a fair amount of cavern courses at a well known dive destination. He hated cave diving, absolutely loathed it. I have emails archived where he kept saying "I don't get it, it's just a bunch of boring wet rocks." He was strictly in it for the money and because he had very little cave diving experience to draw on, he didn't know what he didn't know.

I hate to say it, but there are those guys out there....
there are also those who only "teach" a little bit during the year so they can travel the world taking pictures (like Dora the Explorer) to attract more people to their dive shop.

This one I'm mentioning, is not student-centric at all and is definitely in the business for the money and the travels.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom