GUE Fundamental course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drysuit.

I don't maintain a consistent weight very well and might be anywhere between 165 and 180 during the dive year. It takes time for me to rebalance the rig overall and feel comfortable when I have a big fluctuation.
ok well you have redundant buoyancy right there. You dont need 3 sources of buoyancy.

Your weight has noting to do with whether your rig is or isn't "balanced", but Mer can work with you on that.

??? Bone, muscle, and bioprene don't ebb and flow in a constant ratio...
Balance rig is all about being able to swim up or otherwise exit with your gear (from the bottom, with maximum - if any suit compression) in the event of a buoyancy failure. Getting a little chunkier in the winter by 15lbs isnt really relevant.

As this is in 'Advanced' (not GUE) I feel OK with responding. It has been well established over the years that I'm "DIR Friendly". I like almost everything that you guys and gals do, just short of that damn buddy thing that you all have wrapped around your axles. 15# of bioprene IS relevant, IMHO.

Please, post GUE's formal definition of a "Balanced Rig". I've heard many descriptions of the same thing over the years.

Neutral at 500? Able to easily drop weight and swim up your rig if you splash with a full tank and can't get breathing gas? Able to ditch your rig and do a controlled ascent?

This post is not in the least bit baiting, but very curious...

EDIT:

I don't blind-side anyone, this is what I currently have in mind:

(X-Ray Mag)

"HP: How did the Hogarthian equipment configuration come about?

BM: John Zumrick invented the term "Hogarthian". It really started as a joke. I have always been stuck with that middle name, and then Gavin started using the term. We started minimalising—stripping out anything that we did not need. Every time I saw something good—as long as it meshed with the system—I would adopt it. I was one of the first to use the Goodman handle, putting the backup lights under the arms—lots of little things, most of them invented by other people.

HP: What do people fail to understand about diving “Hogarthian” and how does it differ from what people would consider to be a DIR (Doing It Right) equipment configuration?

BM: It is mainly being streamlined—if you don’t need it, don’t take it. I was glad that they changed the name to DIR because there are some differences that I still don’t agree with, like having the wing inflate on the right post. I always have mine on the left, so that if the post rolls off, I'd know, because the inflate stops working. Speed is a big part of the equation for me. I have to limit my dives. I can’t stay in the water for 10 to 15 hours in a wetsuit. Also, sometimes “Chicken Little” comes calling and says, “The sky is falling down,” and you just got to get out of the cave quickly.

Its covered in Fundamentals (and should be in other Intro to Tech courses but I'm guessing it isnt). TS&M has the most concise definition - and its not unique to GUE.

Properly Weighted Vs. Balanced Rig

Please, post GUE's formal definition of a "Balanced Rig". I've heard many descriptions of the same thing over the years.

Not sure this is the textbook definition, but I recall two things:
  • Be able to swim it up from depth without ditching weights with full tanks (= beginning of the dive) in the case of a failed wing (=BC)
  • Be able to comfortably hold a stop with near empty tanks (= end of the dive) at 3m/10ft

Did a search but everything is pretty old. I'm looking for some recent experience with the GUE Fundamentals course. I am a PADI Rescue, EAN, etc. but really would like to hear about this class to improve my diving and learn a lot.
What exactly is the course like? How is the best way to choose and instructor/location? Any help is appreciated and I'm looking to take it next summer.
Thanks for the help.

Bringing this a bit more back OT ... you’ll find lots of reports in the “Technical” forum and in its “DIR” sub-forum. To be able to access the latter, you need to go to your profile and check the box “DIR practitioner” (or something like that). Some links for you:

Signed up for Fundamentals

The road to a GUE Fundamentals Tec Pass

Fundamentals – Back to Basics - [My UK course report]

GUE Fundamentals Class

DIR- Generic - Completed GUE Fundies Provisional

DIR Class Reports - A Consolidated Inventory?

@1atm, I'm not a DIR Practitioner and won't pass myself off as one. So I won't be rooting around in your attic. But thanks, others may find your links most useful...

@rjack321, I half-remembered that Lynne cleared that up but couldn't come up with the keywords for a decent search into yesteryear. Sincere thanks!

Be able to swim it up from depth without ditching weights
Wait, really? I thought if you could swim it up after ditching your ditchable weight you were good; if you couldn't, you needed to reconfigure until enough of your weight was ditchable. So maybe a steel backplate, weighted STA, and steel tank would be OK (I still need 4 lbs. of lead on top of all that), but in switching to doubles you might need to rethink the backplate material or consider aluminum tanks. Am I mistaken?

Wait, really? I thought if you could swim it up after ditching your ditchable weight you were good; if you couldn't, you needed to reconfigure until enough of your weight was ditchable.

Am I mistaken?

Any of the dive Gods could swim up an anvil. Me? Not so much.

So the tired, worn, scuba answer remains: It depends. (Do what works for you IRL and under stress.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom