Diving old air in your tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

False, where does the carbon come from? Fe + N2 + O2 is all there is inside the tank. The trace amounts of carbon in the steel won't amount to anything. We are talking trace amounts of carbon, the steel tank will rust and blow out long before the amount of carbon means anything. You can't make CO2 without having a source of C.

Find a local rebreather diver and look at there bail outs. Especially there deep bail out. The inspection sticker is often expired by several years and not surprising if the hydro is expired as well. The gas is still tested and is fine. But since it isn't used in a dive as long as everything goes right it can be years between refills.
Yes, you are correct. Sorry, what I meant to say was that the 02 would be used up if there is water in there and it rusts. Therefore there may be less than the stated amount of 02.

It is very important to shake up the tanks before using them... you want to make sure the air has not settled with all the ok at the Bottom since it is slightly heavier than N2... lol

I have used tanks with 2-3-year-old air and have been fine. but I have also used tanks with bad fills and felt like crap 10 mins of the compressor. don't worry about a few months.

It is very important to shake up the tanks before using them... you want to make sure the air has not settled with all the ok at the Bottom since it is slightly heavier than N2.
Make sure you shake each tank for 2-3 minutes while at the dock, the action of the boat will keep it all mixed up before your dive. You have no idea how long rental tanks have been sitting so if your on a boat that supplies tanks you should shake those as well.

Just this weekend I was diving a couple of tanks that were filled two years ago. Absolutely no issues.

Old air? Heck, much of our O-2 was created in stars long ago and has passed through many biological cycles

Occasionally I breathe air that is 4+ months old with no problems. Well, none that I know of sinze I usaelly dun lit it go frazza pitula minganno seeemely.

I really hope that the OP understands that Frackingawesome and MaxE are joshing.:wink:

Old air in aluminum tanks shouldn't be a problem.

There is one recorded death from someone who went on a quick shallow dive with a nearly-empty and badly corroded steel tank - the corrosion had consumed most of the oxygen in the gas. The tank was poorly maintained and had not had a visual inspection in years.

Serious corrosion can occur with a little bit of water over the 6-9 months that the cylinders sit there in storage. I recommend a cylinder inspection and refill every year AFTER diving to make sure that your tanks stay healthy while they're in storage. Put 'em away clean, dry, and full.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom