Reflecting on Limes in Beers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lager with lime juice in it was "thing" in the UK back in the 60s and 70s. I don't know if this habit still exists.

Lager is not a beer though :D

Proper beers like ales or IPAs don't need lime for flavour.

I would love to see you have that debate with someone from Bavaria. If you order a bier you will get a lager by default, if you want something else you order it by name. Their lagers have more flavor than the typical American beer though.

I would love to see you have that debate with someone from Bavaria. If you order a bier you will get a lager by default, if you want something else you order it by name. Their lagers have more flavor than the typical American beer though.
I had a German language prof in college tell the class, "You Americans drink your beer cold so you can't taste how crummy it is."

That was many years ago, though, back when you ordered a beer it was a Budweiser or a Schlitz. It got better.

Lager with lime juice in it was "thing" in the UK back in the 60s and 70s. I don't know if this habit still exists.

Lager is not a beer though :D

Proper beers like ales or IPAs don't need lime for flavour.
Speaking strictly for myself, you can keep your IPAs. Too much hop for me. I love porters and ambers, though.

"You Americans drink your beer cold so you can't taste how crummy it is."

Absolutely true, cold drinks and food has no taste.

I had a German language prof in college tell the class, "You Americans drink your beer cold so you can't taste how crummy it is."

That was many years ago, though, back when you ordered a beer it was a Budweiser or a Schlitz. It got better.

Americans still tend to drink beer served on the too cold end of the spectrum, and the big name brands from the US are still kind of crummy, but then again I am spoiled living in Belgium where Beer is more than a business, more than commodity, even more than art. Beer here is a major part of the fabric that makes up the cultural landscape and history of the country....and when I am overwhelmed by the complexities of Belgian beer, a quick hop over to Netherlands or Germany for lighter, crisper fair is easy to do. Belgian beer is great, but I love how refreshing a weissbier is after a day of skiing.

To be honest, I apply the same mentality towards beer as I do whisky: The best beer (or whisky) is the one you enjoy drinking, and the best way to drink it is however you enjoy drinking it....even if that means it is blizzard cold.
:cheers:

Cheers,
-Z

The European countries that get snooty about beer temperature don't typically enjoy the kind of weather that tends to motivate Americans to drink it so cold. I love a near-room-temperature stout on a drizzly day, but when the sun is beating down so hard I get tan lines walking across the parking lot, I like my beer with marginally more body and flavor than a La Croix and straight out of the fridge. And a lime. Maybe a coconut...

so Budweiser makes bud light lime is this only available in Canada?also been putting a shot of bar lime in my beer for years limon lager .takes the bloat y feel away and you can have more of them without feeling full

Speaking strictly for myself, you can keep your IPAs. Too much hop for me. I love porters and ambers, though.
Amen! I don't mind an IPA on occasion, but I don't get this trend over the last few years of breweries trying to out-hop each other. Give me a nice, malty porter any day. Even in the summer.

As for putting lime in a Corona, the issue is the Corona, not the lime. :)

so Budweiser makes bud light lime is this only available in Canada?also been putting a shot of bar lime in my beer for years limon lager .takes the bloat y feel away and you can have more of them without feeling full

My gf subsists on Bud Light Lime and I don't mind one too when I'm hot and tired though I prefer an IPA when having a few beers with friends. Michelop has an Ultra Lime version that neither of us like as well. She will always have a lime with her Dos Equis. I think the lime is just an acquired taste that becomes familiar.

Back
Top Bottom