Dual Bladder Wings - A Good Choice for Redundancy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What exactly do you think you’re going to do when you jump off the boat and the elbow pops off?

You’re now a lawn dart headed for Davy Jones locker. You aren’t going to overcome the negative buoyancy of double steel tanks by orally inflating.

I'll be doing the same thing as if I don't have a redundant bladder.

Again, I don't think a RB is needed, but I don't see it causing problems. I see it more as a solution looking for a problem.

Double Al80s with Trimix are SUPER light (they’re just about neutral when full) and adequate for most warm water ocean stuff. If you’re really doin somethin interesting even an al80 stage with Trimix is totally neutral.

Easy to swim against that stuff

I'll be doing the same thing as if I don't have a redundant bladder.

Again, I don't think a RB is needed, but I don't see it causing problems. I see it more as a solution looking for a problem.
It does cause problems. It lures people into diving heavy rigs thinking they can rely on something that won’t perform its intended task.

It’s unneeded junk. There’s enough junk associated with technical diving. Taking unneeded junk is totally pointless.

I’ll contend that’s not an option either. ...//...

You manage to get yourself topside (by almost any means) and you will have a few more options. It is far from the best-case scenario, but it is the final shot in your undamaged life.

Your suggestion would be? (Not getting into that situation is not an answer. Let's say it happened. What would YOU do?)

The bedrock of DIR is Hogarthian, if its not needed leave it at home.

As I said before, I agree with this.

How about you take GUE Tech1 and get back to us on the redundant bladder being a training issue?

Convince Guy to let me take it in sidemount, then sure.

When all hell is breaking loose (which it does albit rarely) the last thing you need is a long hose trapped under a second power inflator

I don't see that happening. At all.

or to have trapped gas,

I'm confused. I thought the primary wing was completely deflated. LOL. Seriously, some trapped gas is going to expand, some of it will vent, likely not all. An annoyance.

or to fiddle about with a second inflator when you should be going for your suit,

I agree that a dry suit is a much better redundancy solution. And I agree that a dry suit can be used immediately. This shows how a redundant bladder is inferior. What should warm water divers do for redundancy when diving deep with a wetsuit or no exposure protection (I'm thinking Guam)?

or worse to actually have switched to that second wing but now you have a power inflator fail (full open - its happened and its killed people) and whoops the dump is on the wrong side.

Well, I would hope that if you were to actually have a redundant bladder, you would train with the thing.

You cant shut down the right post and dump from the wrong sided pull dump at the same time.

Can you shut down the left post and dump from a single bladder wing at the same time?

Oh wait maybe you ran the second BC whip off the left post so you'd have redundancy in case of a right reg failure? Now you are doing exactly the opposite of what you're trained to do - and you better figure it out in a fraction of a second or you're going to cork like @PfcAJ 's buddy.

Did @PfcAJ 's buddy have a redundant bladder? He didn't mention that.

Just no, its not needed and causes all sorts of confusion for no value.

Agreed on no value. Not agreed that it introduces massive problems. Though I'm curious what warm water divers should do for proper redundancy. I'm heading to the Med. I want a dry suit at 100 feet.

Double Al80s with Trimix are SUPER light (they’re just about neutral when full) and adequate for most warm water ocean stuff. If you’re really doin somethin interesting even an al80 stage with Trimix is totally neutral.

Easy to swim against that stuff
You answered my question on warm water divers. At least we are making some progress!

It does cause problems. It lures people into diving heavy rigs thinking they can rely on something that won’t perform its intended task.

Okay, so no problems in the water then. Thanks.

It’s unneeded junk. There’s enough junk associated with technical diving. Taking unneeded junk is totally pointless.

No argument there.

Okay, so no problems in the water then. Thanks.

No argument there.
I think I’ve been snagged on every piece of gear. I’d rather not have more gear to get snagged.

It’s an extra hose, and even if you don’t “see” it, every extra hose is one more potential for issue.

For what? It’s pointless.

You manage to get yourself topside (by almost any means) and you will have a few more options. It is far from the best-case scenario, but it is the final shot in your undamaged life.

Your suggestion would be? (Not getting into that situation is not an answer. Let's say it happened. What would YOU do?)
You ever dive on a wall where the bottom is 1000ft plus?

You’re toast if you’re in an unrecoverable negative situation.

You ever dive on a wall where the bottom is 1000ft plus?

You’re toast if you’re in an unrecoverable negative situation.
How do you recover in this situation in cold water?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom