Dual Bladder Wings - A Good Choice for Redundancy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I’ve been snagged on every piece of gear. I’d rather not have more gear to get snagged.

It’s an extra hose, and even if you don’t “see” it, every extra hose is one more potential for issue.

For what? It’s pointless.
Now that is a compelling argument against redundant bladders .

Push drysuit inflate button. It’s an instant solution.
Ok, So let's say we swap the dry suit for a wet suit and second bladder, with the second inflator corrugated hose across the belly (I am after all in sidemount)
And still push the inflate button on that same inflator hose.
No more hoses than before. No more inflators that could run away than before.
No problem??

ETA: Well there is a new corrugated hose.... Is that the issue?
Relative to a dry suit whose bubble shifts and expands drastically? Which may have big glove rings impending gear handling. In terms of complexity?

I’ll contend that’s not an option either.

Pulling out a lift bag and trying to do anything when you’re in an uncontrolled ascent ( RIP ear drums) is fantasy land.
Wow, uncontrollable ascent with gas loss. Mercy me! Where is my lift bag?? I need to inflate it.
You ever dive on a wall where the bottom is 1000ft plus?

You’re toast if you’re in an unrecoverable negative situation.
Would you pick one or the other so we can discuss each intelligently?

I think I’ve been snagged on every piece of gear.
You dive caves, no?

Ok, So let's say we swap the dry suit for a wet suit and second bladder, with the second inflator corrugated hose across the belly (I am after all in sidemount)
And still push the inflate button on that same inflator hose.
No more hoses than before. No more inflators that could run away than before.
No problem??

ETA: Well there is a new corrugated hose.... Is that the issue?
Relative to a dry suit whose bubble shifts and expands drastically? Which may have big glove rings impending gear handling. In terms of complexity?
You’re auto-inflating. Which bladder is it?

That’s the hangup with dual bladder wings. You can’t tell.

Wow, uncontrollable ascent with gas loss. Mercy me! Where is my lift bag?? I need to inflate it.
Would you pick one or the other so we can discuss each intelligently?

You dive caves, no?
Descent, excuse the typo pls.

I dive caves, wrecks, reefs, all of it.

How do you recover in this situation in cold water?

dirt simple in (big) steel tanks:
properly weighted
drysuit
stay in trim

in Al80s:
properly weighted
swim up

Convince Guy to let me take it in sidemount, then sure.

Why do you think this is a good idea? Or even something worth pursuing? I mean Guy doesnt even dive sidemount... How could he teach you T 1 (or anything) in sidemount?

A mixed team for T1 is a worse idea than a dual bladder wing honestly.

Thx, understood.

I sense that I have strayed too far into alien territory. But this is how I personally come to understand the social aspects of GUE. I have no set feelings either way about it. Been treated well by more than a few practitioners and I strive to return the favor with open-mindedness.

Peace.

So, if the purpose of a dual bladder is to have a redundant lift source. When is an instance that you ever have to worry about a negative descent caused by the bladder? It will never be the bladder causing the descent, but the absence of additional lift and buoyancy control to counter the additional weight you carry in gear/lead/tank. Therefore, should the bladder be compromised, you should dump most of your ditch-able weight and swim to the surface controlling your ascent to the best of your ability. Once on the surface, stabilize using your buddy, and correct the problem or ditch the rig. In the end, should the argument not be for a balanced rig that requires no additional ballast or a substantial source of ditch-able weight? As that would be apt to cause more problems and be the more accurate solution to a compromised bladder, not including a runaway inflator that a redundant bladder will not help with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom