Addon Wetsuit Knee Pads

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daniel!

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I am looking for some advice on adding knee pads to my wetsuit. Before this thread devolves into a debate about the need for knee pads when you are supposed to be floating mid-water though, lets just agree that sometimes knee pads are legitimately required.

So in my situation, I have already noticed some minor cuts to my relatively new wetsuit in the knee area due to an abundance of sharp shells. Yes, I can just repair the cuts, but I would also like to reinforce the area to extend the life of the suit. I ideally would like rubber knee pads like I had on my training suit, but I can't find any sources for aftermarket knee pads that would be suitable for gluing onto a wetsuit. Instead I found these CF200 knee pads that are actually meant for use with a drysuit. Click

These CF200 knee pads should be pretty durable and yet still flexible at the same time. I assume I could use something like aquaseal to adhere the pads to the suit. My question is if anyone has ever actually done something like this before or has a better idea.

Thanks in advance :)

Have had more success with slip on knee pads than glued on. Slip on pads like these but without velcro: Omer Knee Pad
Glueing on pads can make wetsuit less flexible and add stress points to suit. They may even have to be replaced in some work situations. Slip on pads give good protection but you need to remember not to lose them and tend to last longer than glued on pads in my experience. Used to be easy to find these where I live but now less popular - maybe dive shops would rather sell new suits??.

Perhaps you're using the wrong tool (suit) for the job you are doing. Waterproof has 2 semi-dry suits in their lineup that have rather robust knee protection.

Products - Waterproof

-Z

happy-diver rubber kneepad from a tube TM(®)@

full.jpg

aquaseal whilst being a great product especially for urethane bladders
neoprene cement is for wetsuits because it flexes with the neoprene
aquaseal forms far too inflexibly and the neoprene will tear away
and sikaflex 291 fills holes where neoprene is missing flexibly
as in if you have chunks of neoprene missing from knees or
elbows you smear some onin and get years more suit life

your linked pads are designed for gluing and stitching
once the wetsuit guy, cuts open the inner leg seam

AQUASEAL IS NOT FOR WETSUIT NEOPRENE

Check on craigslist or whatever your local equivalent is and see if you can snag an old wetsuit for free or a tiny amount of money. Pick up some wetsuit adhesive, and glue yourself some pads out of said old wetsuit.

Alternatively take your wetsuit and the kneepads to a cobbler and have them sew them on for you for a more robust attachment method.

View attachment 535880 View attachment 535880
So I am looking for some advice on adding knee pads to my wetsuit. Before this thread devolves into a debate about the need for knee pads when you are supposed to be floating mid-water though, lets just agree that sometimes knee pads are legitimately required.

So in my situation, I have already noticed some minor cuts to my relatively new wetsuit in the knee area due to an abundance of sharp shells. Yes, I can just repair the cuts, but I would also like to reinforce the area to extend the life of the suit. I ideally would l

Daniel...

If you glue pads on...you remove the suits ability to expand as you move/bend at the knee...and what will end up happening is the suit will start to tear around the perimeter of the glued on pads...

I have a pair of these high density foam knee pads in my bag...comfortable/durable/inexpensive...

Home Depot...$17.

When you get to the point of purchasing a dry-suit...opt for Kevlar knees...

Best...

Warren...

knee pads.jpg
DSCF1158.JPG

Have had more success with slip on knee pads than glued on. Slip on pads like these but without velcro: Omer Knee Pad
Glueing on pads can make wetsuit less flexible and add stress points to suit. They may even have to be replaced in some work situations. Slip on pads give good protection but you need to remember not to lose them and tend to last longer than glued on pads in my experience. Used to be easy to find these where I live but now less popular - maybe dive shops would rather sell new suits??.

I like the looks of that knee pad, I probably will go with that or some other 'slip-on' knee pad. Thanks for the link :)

Perhaps you're using the wrong tool (suit) for the job you are doing. Waterproof has 2 semi-dry suits in their lineup that have rather robust knee protection.

Products - Waterproof

-Z

Thanks for the suggestion, but the goal here is not to have to buy another new suit :p

happy-diver rubber kneepad from a tube TM(®)@

View attachment 535862

aquaseal whilst being a great product especially for urethane bladders
neoprene cement is for wetsuits because it flexes with the neoprene
aquaseal forms far too inflexibly and the neoprene will tear away
and sikaflex 291 fills holes where neoprene is missing flexibly
as in if you have chunks of neoprene missing from knees or
elbows you smear some onin and get years more suit life

your linked pads are designed for gluing and stitching
once the wetsuit guy, cuts open the inner leg seam

AQUASEAL IS NOT FOR WETSUIT NEOPRENE

Any chance you could provide a link to that 'happy-diver rubber kneepad from a tube' stuff? I can't seam to locate it on the web.
I have heard the same about aquaseal before not being flexible enough, but this product here from aquaseal says its meant specifically for neoprene - any thoughts?

Check on craigslist or whatever your local equivalent is and see if you can snag an old wetsuit for free or a tiny amount of money. Pick up some wetsuit adhesive, and glue yourself some pads out of said old wetsuit.

Alternatively take your wetsuit and the kneepads to a cobbler and have them sew them on for you for a more robust attachment method.

I never thought I would ever hear someone suggest a 'cobbler' in this day and age :p

Daniel...

If you glue pads on...you remove the suits ability to expand as you move/bend at the knee...and what will end up happening is the suit will start to tear around the perimeter of the glued on pads...

I have a pair of these high density foam knee pads in my bag...comfortable/durable/inexpensive...

Home Depot...$17.

When you get to the point of purchasing a dry-suit...opt for Kevlar knees...

Best...

Warren...

I have heard the same before, but I thought I was working around the problem with my choice of knee-pad made from crushed neoprene (supposed to still be flexible) and choice of glue as 'aquaseal neo' which is also supposed to remain flexible. But it appears the consensus is still don't glue anything to your wetsuit :p I was hoping to get away from having yet another piece of gear to lug around and try not to forget, but it looks like 'slip-on' knee pads is the way to go.

Thanks for the advice everyone :)

I like the looks of that knee pad, I probably will go with that or some other 'slip-on' knee pad. Thanks for the link :)

Thanks for the suggestion, but the goal here is not to have to buy another new suit :p

Any chance you could provide a link to that 'happy-diver rubber kneepad from a tube' stuff? I can't seam to locate it on the web.
I have heard the same about aquaseal before not being flexible enough, but this product here from aquaseal says its meant specifically for neoprene - any thoughts?

I never thought I would ever hear someone suggest a 'cobbler' in this day and age :p

I have heard the same before, but I thought I was working around the problem with my choice of knee-pad made from crushed neoprene (supposed to still be flexible) and choice of glue as 'aquaseal neo' which is also supposed to remain flexible. But it appears the consensus is still don't glue anything to your wetsuit :p I was hoping to get away from having yet another piece of gear to lug around and try not to forget, but it looks like 'slip-on' knee pads is the way to go.

Thanks for the advice everyone :)

You’d be amazed at how few seamstresses have walking foot shoe machines these days. A Singer 29 is where it’s at. Unless you want to take the whole thing apart, a shoe doc is the answer!

Back
Top Bottom