Computer decision - buy or don't buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

^^^^
This guy gets it. A wrist computer is really useful for vacation diving.

But at 20-30' is there really going to be an issue with allowable bottom time? Pretty sure I would run out of air waaaaay before I hit that time. I was just reading a thread about gear to get first and computer seemed to always be on the top of the list so it records "your dives" but do I really need all that info if I am doing shallow single dives? Not saying I won't go deeper, but around here that is pretty much the norm for seeing things around here. Also being in New England, my diving window is closing. Probably about another 2 months or so before the water temp gets a bit too cold for my liking. So wondering if I should just dive with what I have for now, and then maybe do some research over the winter months and make a decision then. But then I'm wondering if not having the new computer to log all these dives is not a good thing and may hamper me

I agree, 100%, that if you continue in this sport you are going to want a decent dive computer. There are many good choices and you're already getting advice on that score.

However, in light of the part of your post I quoted, I'll be a little contrarian and say that there is absolutely no reason you can't dive the next couple of months as-is and take your time on figuring out what sort of computer you want.

For 20-30' dives, you're right. You'll run out of gas before hitting NDL (if you ever do). If you need/want to go a little deeper, you do have a computer, just not one you like very much, but presumably it works - and you can always just look at a dive table. The point is that while I absolutely agree that you're going to want a computer that you like, you can afford to take your time. It isn't urgent.

No, to your last comment, there's no harm in not having a computer log your dives. That's a nice thing, but you can just write down what you need to write down - old school.

You can also take this chance to rent/borrow dive computers from shops or friends and figure out what you like - wrist or console, air integrated or not, basic or more advanced, etc. You may make a better decision down the road. I'm not trying to talk you out of buying something now if you've got the itch, but it doesn't sound like there's any great pressing need.

Currently using a Suunto Companion console mounted.
Hi @Viper12161

The Suunto Companion is pretty old, likely mid 90s, air only, no nitrox. It predates Suunto RGBM and runs a Haldanean algorithm. It appears to be middle of the road/moderate to slightly liberal with NDLs generally between PZ+ and DSAT. As long as it is working and you don't need nitrox, no good reason you can't continue to dive it while you decide what computer you would like to have. In addition to features like AI, take some time to learn a bit about decompression algorithms and decide what is best for you.

In addition to features like AI, take some time to learn a bit about decompression algorithms and decide what is best for you.
Why should you learn about decompression algorithms if you're only going to dive 20-30' recreationally?
Because the algorithm you choose also determines your NDL. It determines how liberal it is compared to your buddies. It determines how it treats sawtooth profiles (a regular issue for shallow reef divers). So as @scubadada suggested, spend a little time here on the Board reading stuff that may not be easy to understand at first, but may pay off on that vacation trip with four dives a day in Bonaire.

I love dive computers. I only dive when traveling now and wouldn't want to be without 2 of them. But if all you're doing is 1-2 typically shallow New England dives, even tables are fine and are unlikely to restrict anything you would do. I did that for a few years way back when. I also used to dive with a Companion or similar vintage Suunto and sure, you will like pretty much anything available now much more. I'd say finish out the season with what you have and look forward to the search for your perfect dive computer as your winter dive entertainment.

I dove RI, Jamestown, Narraganset, etc. for over 20 years and there is no such thing as "I am only going to be diving 20 - 30'"!! You are going to be finding it easier and necessary to go deeper to find better marine life and better visibility as you gain more experience and visit more dive sites. A dive computer will be necessary as you gain more experience. You will certainly be making 2 dives in a day.

I have ordered several units of the Scubapro Aladin Sport Matrix Wrist Dive Computer for my dive school and now that I have read the manual fully and used them, they are top notch computers that will serve the beginner to advanced recreational diver no issues at all. They do lack the air integration (AI) feature however. If you want the AI feature, go for the SP G2, Ratio or Shearwater. They are much more money however. The SP G2 is an excellent choice with excellent screen and very customizable. The G2 isn't getting the big press it deserves other AI computers are getting on SB but it is an excellent AI computer that can be used for all levels of recreational divers to tech Trimix divers no problem. The Ratio computer(s) are excellent too and I have been using the i3XM Tech+ for over a year now and it is great especially with the GPS feature.

I do recommend to start with the Aladin Sport Matrix Wrist Dive Computer and then add the AI computer once you have had the chance to understand a more basic computer and have the need for AI. You are going to need a primary and back up computers at some point anyways.

BTW, the dive season in RI is longer than it is in MA or further North. You are going to see the tropical fish swimming in RI waters very soon :) With proper semidry suit you can continue to dive there until about Thanksgiving time.

I have to say that buying a computer (new or used) is something that every diver who is in the remotest sense concerned about their welfare should do.

Irrespective of the particular type, the important things (to me anyway) are:
1) READ THE MANUAL. Know and understand exactly what the computer is showing you. If a section is flashing or changes, know what that is telling you. There are many tales of divers coming out of the water with their computer beeping away and flashing at them because they are in deco (and therefore should have made mandatory stops) but are simply not aware of it.
2) Algorithm - not only will it vary your NDL it is crucial to your safety as a diver. If you are young and fit, you can probably get away with any algorithm. If you are older, not quite as fit and/or possibly carrying a few extra pounds then I would probably steer towards a more conservative algoritm. Also different algorithms will treat short surface intervals, sawtooth die profiles (where you zigzag up and down with the sea floor) and multiple dive days differently.
3) READ THE MANUAL - did I mention this?
4) Screen type - LED/OLED beats LCD hands down for visibility IMHO. I can see an LED/OLED screen a couple of metres off whereas LCD often needs backlit (and therefore two hands) particularly in colder waters (which can often be difficult if carrying out other tasks such as ascending a line, shooting/holding a DSMB, adjusting BCD)
5) READ THE MANUAL - worth repeating.
6) Button type - some computers have really small buttons - not great to operate with 7mm or dry gloves. Larger is generally better but make sure they can't be accidentally activated.
7) Number of buttons - how they work varies. IMHO one button is difficult as that operates everything so you are reliant on long and short button presses and remembering which does what at which stage. Two is better - normally one to cycle the options and another to select. Three allows for cycling back and forward on some computers however I know of some that still rely on long and short presses (Cressi GIotto for example). Others have four.

Wrist or console is personal preference - I prefer wrist so that I can instantly see it with a flick of the wrist irrecpective of what else I am doing at the time.

AI - personal preference again. I prefer it as I can then lose the SPG and its hose and replace it with a transmitter on a short 6" hose ( I dislike it being fitted directly to the tank as it can then be vulnerable to damage by lifting/poor handling.

In short, virtually any computer will do the job so long as you know how to use it (hence the READ THE MANUAL). Some will keep you safer than others (at potential expense of NDL), others have betteer screens and some are easier to use. Do your research and pick the one that suits your requirements.

Oh and just another thing - READ THE MANUAL.

Get a new computer, yes.
Get it now, no.

You have one, it works. The only going to be in 20-30 feet is just a nice safe place to start at. You will get more comfortable and get deeper. You will want better logging capability. You are already determining the limits of what you have. You are also stating that the local diving season will be closing soon (it will go on longer if you get a good drysuit but that is another story). For now I will stick with what you say and limited season left.

You have all winter to shop around. Black Friday sale? Don't go rushing into getting a new computer. There are a lot out there. Many are overpriced, bloated with features that are not that useful. Some will require an expensive download cable if you want to copy your dives to the computer. But you have time to research it, at least how you describe it.

Ooooh, didn't think of Black Friday. Does scuba stuff go on sale over the winter? I honestly wasn't sure. I know I live in the cold...but it's still nice and warm somewhere!!! Lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom