New Diver! Recommendations Please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You asked about Florida and I think that is a good place to start; here is a Key Largo Florida dive report from @drrich2 that you might find helpful:

Key Largo with Rainbow Reef Dive Center 2013 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fl...iving-key-largo-rainbow-reef-dive-center.html

And if you post your questions in the Florida forum at the link below, you should get a range of responses. Are you planning on traveling this summer, that is usually a nice time of year in Florida for diving.
Florida

I am always surprised when someone recommends Cozumel to a brand new diver. Everybody is different and my husband didn't have any problems with strong currents and drift dives but I did. I float like a cork so it was hard for me to stay in control and maintain buoyancy. I eventually mastered it and came to love Cozumel but I wouldn't recommend Coz to a newly certified diver.

I'm also not sure about Bonaire because divers are often on their own when diving Bonaire and you didn't say if you will be traveling with a dive buddy? The diving is usually easy on Bonaire, close to shore and calm - and it is hard to get lost - but you might need to be a bit more experienced before being more independent when diving.

Personally, I think that moored boat diving with a divemaster would be best for a new diver, but like I said, everyone is different.

One other question, do you have a passport? You will need one to travel outside of the US and they can take some time to arrive after applying.
Ditto on heading to Coz. Drifts there can be mellow or moving quickly. Last August we got caught in down current as well (full moon) which was not fun for anyone. I can’t imagine that as a new diver.

I recommend West Palm Beach, Catalina Island or Cozumel. Blue Heron Bridge was my fifth dive, an easy shore dive during slack tide. Also an amazing night dive through one of the local dive ops like Force E Scuba. Catalina Island was my tenth dive, amazing kelp beds & lots of bright orange garibaldi. Scuba Club Cozumel has great all inclusive deals. Check out the sea conditions on their hotel webcam, Webcam - Scuba Club Cozumel

Been to Coz a number of times and heading back in November. All the things you read are true. Just a bump for a guy who as done us right every time....Bay Adventures | Dive Adventures and Island Vacations does a ton of bookings in Coz and has always given us great deals on all-inclusive hotel and dive packages.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom