Diving in LA during Labor Day Weekend. Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nicole2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I decided to go to LA for the upcoming Labor Day Weekend. My question is, which dive boat should I take? There are a lot of boats that take off from San Pedro or Long Beach and I'd really appreciate it if I can get some suggestions. I will fly in on Friday and will be able to dive both Saturday and Sunday, and will fly back on Monday. Would going to Catalina Island be possible?

Also, I just got my camera and underwater housing and also ordered strobes, macro lens, arms, etc. from Backscatter. However, I'm still scared to bring my camera set up underwater.. Should I stop at Bluewater Photography in LA before I take my camera for the first time?

Lastly, I'll be traveling solo.. is it easy to find a buddy on the boat? I'm a Divemaster but it's my first time diving in California and would really appreciate it if I can get a guide as well.

Thanks!

I've booked day boat trips through Eco Dive Center and been able to find a buddy on the boat: Southern California's Boat Diving Schedule - Online Reservations
All the boats I've been on have been crowded but well-run. No guarantees on the quality of your buddy, though. If you really want a guide, I'd consider taking the ferry over and booking a guided dive through Catalina Divers Supply. I'll be going to Catalina on Labor Day with a couple friends but I guess that's too late for you.

If you book thorough a shop, like Eco, you can always hire a guide. The boats here are accustom to single divers and its not hard to find either buddy or go in with another group, but, yes, who you'd then be diving with would be more of a crap shoot, and, with doing photography, who knows how that'll go.
You can take any boat, just depends on what you're looking for in a boat. I tend to use this as a reference... California Dive Boats : The Official Page
(note - the explorer has moved from Ventura to long beach)
And if you're nervous about taking your camera gear, bluewater is great and will be able to get you settled with whatever you need.

As for Catalina, since it is Labor Day weekend boat reservations may be tough to get and hotels will probably be booked solid. A dive boat is probably a much better bet.

I would avoid the Dive Park on the Labor Day weekend and instead look for an open spot on the Magician, Peace, Spectre, Cea Ray or Pac Star dive boats. Also check the Pacific Wilderness FB page for their local beach dive offerings. They lead local dives in Laguna Beach and Redondo that you could join. A very friendly group. Ocean Safari Dive shop offers free guiding on all their boat trips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom