Nuffa That.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mother Ocean has "educated" me with challenging Surf entries in Calif, goat trails you needed to scale down rockfaces (going back up was worse) and a couple significant spankings with rocks. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt I am older wiser, more brittle and take longer to heal. Technique only saves you from so much...

Fortunately we have a number of choices for shore dives here. The ones we focus on now pretty much just involve long walks in heavy gear....

Chest straps are for fins, well they don't contribute anything else

oh, except drowning when you don't unclip it at the surface
and expect to breathe with a fully inflated jacket bcd

Actually we have made some fin holder straps we attach to D-rings for entry exits and long walks. Hands free to use as needed has saved lost fins and trashed bodies more times than I can count!

waves on the rocky shore

Enough said right there! Always wondered what I looked like on a few of my shore dives. Thanks for sharing.

It wouldn't be much of a video had it been climbing down/up a ladder or entering/exiting in a protected area with no wave action. :)

I learned pretty early here that it is far better to carry gear down and bring it back one or two small bits at a time instead of all at once. Means that should I fall (or that should be when I fall), the landings are not so hard and easier to cope with.

Today's dive(s)….Surge, seaweedy boulders near shore. Basketball size rocks to climb down (and up), at times on all fours. Throwing fins ahead of you exiting so you have 2 hands free. Doffing the unit because you just can't make it back up the rocks, and going back to retrieve it piece by piece. I'm 65 now. Time to forget those types of sites and stick to the easy stuff. 2-3 year ago not so much.
Who else has recently hit that wall?
Time to retire to Florida. I don't think we have anything like that. You guys are "real" adventurers for sure. I don't think it would have occurred to me to try and dive such a site.

@MaxBottomtime - not my cup of tea, but kudos to those of you who are built for sturdy. :wink:

Time to retire to Florida. I don't think we have anything like that.

Last year in Pensacola Beach I got rag dolled by a cross current trying to make a surf entry. The surf was more determined than I was. Then Neptune ate my fin!

And my wife and daughter were laughing along with some other folks on the beach.

Surge, seaweedy boulders near shore. Basketball size rocks to climb down (and up), at times on all fours.
Sounds like a pretty standard shore dive...

Back
Top Bottom