Buying used BCD - what to check?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the input. I like the simplicity of the weight belt and I have the hips for them (hah!) - it’s just that I’m using 10kg now for a 7mm wetsuit (perhaps I could try removing some of that) and the bcd is over the weight belt making me feel a little tight.

I could definitely put 4kg of that weight in the back of the new BC and keep the weight belt just for ditchable. I was just wondering if I should use these Velcro weight pockets or not.

Thanks for the input. I like the simplicity of the weight belt and I have the hips for them (hah!) - it’s just that I’m using 10kg now for a 7mm wetsuit (perhaps I could try removing some of that) and the bcd is over the weight belt making me feel a little tight.

I could definitely put 4kg of that weight in the back of the new BC and keep the weight belt just for ditchable. I was just wondering if I should use these Velcro weight pockets or not.

There is no issue putting hard block weights in the weight pockets....as long as the weight pockets will not fall out of the bcd.

They have Decathlon in Denmark....it is the least expensive place in my experience to buy lead, at least in Belgium. They have 2kg coated lead blocks that are oblong and slightly curved....these work perfectly in my wife's BCD pockets.

That would put 4kg in the bcd of ditchable weight.

Does your BC have trim pockets on the back? Perhaps put a kg in each side - if you don't have trim pockets built into the bcd then you can always add small ones to the tank cam straps.

That would add 2kg of non-ditchable weight and a total of 6kg to the bcd.

The other 4 kg can go on a weight belt, making a total of 10kg....either 2 x 2kg blocks or in my opinion 4 x 1kg blocks as they tend to be thinner and you can space them for comfort....purchase some plastic triglides to hold them in place once you get them positioned comfortably.

I can't imagine you would want to switch to a thinner wetsuit living in Denmark, so with a 7mm wetsuit,10kg is not unexpected especially if you are diving in sea water....but when was the last time you did a proper weight check? Perhaps you can get away with using a kg or 2 less....perhaps with the new bcd you might need a kg or 2 more. Jacket BCDs tend to be positively buoyant which requires the addition of ballast to compensate for that....it is just one of the reasons why many on SB recommend backplates over jacket style BCDs.

-Z

Sorry, I need to clarify – this BCD doesn't have any removable pockets that you put weights in, then you stick the pockets in the BCD. It just has a slit that closes with velcro (not even with a velcro flap). It's actually a double slit, so two slits per side. There's roughly 2-3 cm worth of velcro that closes the slit, but a weight pushing against it could easily start to undo it little by little. Perhaps soft weights would be better there. (The slit is full of soft velcro inside, but I don't think there's anything that can stick there and still being called "ditchable" – it would be pretty hard to remove something from that deep place in a hurry.)

There's two trim pockets in the back, seems like they could carry 2kg each, and they have a proper clip, so I could put trim weight there.

I'll look around the club to see if I can take a weight belt apart and see how everything feels. But probably the first dive will be with just 10kg weight belt, don't want to change everything at once...

Sorry, I need to clarify – this BCD doesn't have any removable pockets that you put weights in, then you stick the pockets in the BCD. It just has a slit that closes with velcro (not even with a velcro flap). It's actually a double slit, so two slits per side. There's roughly 2-3 cm worth of velcro that closes the slit, but a weight pushing against it could easily start to undo it little by little. Perhaps soft weights would be better there. (The slit is full of soft velcro inside, but I don't think there's anything that can stick there and still being called "ditchable" – it would be pretty hard to remove something from that deep place in a hurry.)

There's two trim pockets in the back, seems like they could carry 2kg each, and they have a proper clip, so I could put trim weight there.

I'll look around the club to see if I can take a weight belt apart and see how everything feels. But probably the first dive will be with just 10kg weight belt, don't want to change everything at once...

Not sure I would use the pockets you describe hold any lead at least no as a long term solution.

You got a used bcd that was designed without integrated weight pockets...the expectation is that one would use weight belt.

You wanted a deal, you decided this was a good deal, you purchased it. Perhaps it was a good deal. I think some of us that chimed in appropriately answered your question on what to look for with regards to wear and tear....I think you would have received much different responses if you had asked "should I buy this?". Only you can decide if this BCD is fit for your purpose and its purchase was a good deal.

In the end, if you need other features you can always sell it and purchase something that provides more customization and the actual features you want/need.

Good luck with this.

-Z

Oh for sure, I decided that (for now) I like weight belts more since all the modern BCD weight systems that I've seen so far look complicated and flimsy AF.

This BCD *does* have an integrated weight system (it says right on the tin :wink:), it's just old school with only velcro closing and no clips. So I was wondering if it made sense to even try that or stick with a weight belt.

The reason I went with this BCD is that it was the cheapest way to get the next 10-20 dives in – I'll probably sell it in a year or two, or donate it to the club. Buying a BP/W is probably the end state, but not until I'm a little more experienced :)

Take it to cobbler or a shop that deals with awnings and such and have them sew stronger velcro onto the opening of the pockets. Then dive the hell out of it.

-Z

Sorry, I need to clarify – this BCD doesn't have any removable pockets that you put weights in, then you stick the pockets in the BCD. It just has a slit that closes with velcro (not even with a velcro flap). It's actually a double slit, so two slits per side. There's roughly 2-3 cm worth of velcro that closes the slit
Are you Sure about that?
It sounds like the BCD Was designed for weight pouches and you just dont have them.

Are you Sure about that?
It sounds like the BCD Was designed for weight pouches and you just dont have them.

I agree.

OP the grey handles I have circle in red in the photo below are the handles for the removable weight pockets.
BCD-SEAC-SUB-PRO-3000-size-L.jpg

-Z

Here is a picture of some pockets that are possibly what originally came with your BCD. Perhaps you can use the photo to have some made:
seacsub-weight-pocket.jpg

-Z

Back
Top Bottom