Grade of Helium

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

there's no such thing at my supplier

there's also no helium right now either
I have always heard from my GUE instructors that getting helium is piss easy in the states, seems like you guys are suffering as much as we are. Gets me thinking of doing CCR1

I have always heard from my GUE instructors that getting helium is piss easy in the states, seems like you guys are suffering as much as we are. Gets me thinking of doing CCR1
well I stocked up last winter when I heard there was another "shortage" coming

between the supply bottles I have and recycling old bailout into diluent I'm good for awhile thankfully

there's no such thing at my supplier

there's also no helium right now either

It’s the same here in Mass... our supplier cut us off from helium and we can’t seem to find another. The only option is currently paying retail at $1.87 a cubic foot.

I still have no issues at Airgas. Price hasn't changed, I'm still getting gouged.

Not a helium diver but I did find this section of the airgas catalog about grades of helium and what they contain to be useful information that is relative to this conversation. It details what ppm of gates such as CO and CO2 are allowed.

Attachments

• P25-P26_Helium_Pure_Gases.pdf
    388.8 KB · Views: 345
Didn't realize He was that tight on supply. Don't use it much but good to know. Glad there's about 900 cu ft at the shop just waiting to be used.

You guys have your decimal in the wrong spot. 5.0 is 99.999%. Whatever you are getting, you need to understand what impurities are in it. I worked in a lab for a 5 years, and sometimes the impurities were Oxygen and Nitrogen. Obviously not a big deal. If you don't have a lab, I guess I'd use 5.0. If you know your supplier, you may find out they pump all of their helium from the same tube trailer, and the 5.0 is purged a few more times.
@michael-fisch has it right (no % after the number) but you are correct @rjack321 has it wrong (there is a %) to move from absolute to percent multiply by 100 which is cento in Italian cent in French and centum in Latin.

@michael-fisch has it right (no % after the number) but you are correct @rjack321 has it wrong (there is a %) to move from absolute to percent multiply by 100 which is cento in Italian cent in French and centum in Latin.
yes I was sleepy when I posted that :p

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom