What else to do in Morehead city besides diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The whole coast is beach. We have to import rocks. :) Beaufort is the charming town. Faces a channel with and island with wild ponies on the other side. Great place to sit and have an afternoon beverage. Fishing is great of all types. Depending on your budget, there is pier fishing, surf fishing, and charter boats. They range from big head boats that go out for snapper and grouper to sport fishing boats that go to the gulf stream for dolphin, tuna, wahoo, and marlin (if you have the budget), Also some boats work in closer to shore for blues and mackeral (spanish and king). There are also guides for going into the sounds for trout, flounder, etc. Plus some places will rent a boat. Basically the area if very popular with NC folks who vacation in the are also.

Bumping this up as it looks like I’m headed out there in a couple of weeks.

Anymore advise on good restaurants, Nightlife, etc.?

ETA: Who’s got the best shrimp and grits? I’m might be a Californian but I’m from Carolina and I am a sucker for good shrimp and grits...no one out this way knows what real shrimp and grits should be.

depending on what you like there is a nice free fort at Fort Macon. Civil war era fort. It was built down, not up, for naval combat. You can climb/walk all over it. There also one of the 3 NC aquariums. Both are pleasant things to do also for the non divers. There are more restaurants etc over at Morehead across the bridge. There are bars along the waterway in Beauford. The local dive crews are a good source of ideas if you are looking for local night scene.

Nice beaches, art museums abound, restaurants are good, can't remember which ones we went to but that just means they were good!

Thanks all.

I’m going to be solo just trying to do a little internet recon before arriving. I’m gonna have a couple of afternoons and evenings and don’t want to waste them sitting in my room.

What would be better, Beaufort or Morehead ? I’ll probably check them both out but maybe I can save myself a little time.

Hopefully the conditions are good; I have a 3 day window and that’s not much. I’m looking forward to diving in the warm waters of the Atlantic; it will be a nice respite from the low 50 degree temps I’m used to lol.

Back
Top Bottom