How many hobbies do you have, other than diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi folks!

I just picked up a new hobby and find that it's stretching me in terms of time and finances, in light of my other significant hobby, which is of course, diving.

Do you find it's the same for you, when you have to keep both hobbies "happy"? I don't want to give either up!

Hi, @Dogbowl ! So good to see you back on the boards again. :) What kind of hobby did you pick up? Is it...dare I ask...as or more expensive than diving? :)

I like to go snowboarding in the winter and it never encroaches on diving because I don't really dive locally, and if I did, it wouldn't be in the middle of winter anyway. I love riding my motorcycle and sometimes laugh at the thought of trying to bring all the dive gear onto one and going diving. I also love to go camping in the summer. I do enjoy cooking with Mr. OOO a lot, reading (mysteries/thrillers, especially!) All of these things don't really impede with my diving. As you know, I mostly do vacation diving. The only thing is if I book something for end of March or early April, that sometimes eats into the last few weeks of ski season, but a place like Raja Ampat is worth that. :wink:

Yep, my other hobby right now is motorcycle racing. I stick with mini-racing on kart tracks (all the racing action without the major costs!) and just do discounted track days on big bikes to keep the costs down. I've also started credit card churning to get airline points to pay for flights to dive destinations. So far it's working out well and I can do both.

However, I did recently pick up a 3rd hobby called "getting married next year" and that **** is bleeding me dry...

Just two hobby's?
Been there done that. I'm down to three main hobbies. Even though I instruct, I still do a fair amount of diving for me so call it 2 1/2 if you'd like.
To maintain, increase income to pay for them and manage time to participate. I can be a tough balancing act.

Hi folks!

I just picked up a new hobby and find that it's stretching me in terms of time and finances, in light of my other significant hobby, which is of course, diving.

Do you find it's the same for you, when you have to keep both hobbies "happy"? I don't want to give either up!

One of my favorite hobbies is counting all of my hobbies, currently its scuba, mtn biking, snorkeling, raising indoor plants (a new hobby) which btw seems to help with sleep, maybe a placebo effect as they say you would need hundreds of plants to produce enough fresh air and reduce indoor toxins ...sorry going off topic... where was I?

ah yes hobbies, also hiking, photography, just picked up a new nikon D3500 which is a training wheels DSLR... off topic again....I have temporarily given up the hobby of doing motorcycle track days as it is vulgarly expensive... I used to do RC planes but that hobby just sort of ended on its own. When I was in my 20s I used to snow ski alot but no more now. also competitive paintball and that ended when younger also.

I think people are serial hobbyists....doing certain hobbies for a few years until they get bored or tired of it. For me scuba is an excuse to go on vacation so I dont think this hobby will end for me.

Yep, my other hobby right now is motorcycle racing. I stick with mini-racing on kart tracks (all the racing action without the major costs!) and just do discounted track days on big bikes to keep the costs down. I've also started credit card churning to get airline points to pay for flights to dive destinations. So far it's working out well and I can do both.

However, I did recently pick up a 3rd hobby called "getting married next year" and that **** is bleeding me dry...

if you are doing Kart tracks you have a supermoto im guessing. I used to have a couple of aprilias and one was a supermoto.

So for me it seems to be all water related. Besides diving, the whole family Jetskis, salt and fresh water fishing boating with non diving friends. I have a home made range in the back 40 of my residence as the family likes to shoot. I suffer in the winter as I hate the cold and theres nothing I really like to do in the winter except for some spring diving(for whatever winter we have here in Florida).

Sailing. Is that a "hobby"? I grew up doing it,raced a lot, nowadays teach it as a part-time gig, so I get paid, and am allowed to borrow the school boat(s) now and then. Nice.
Volunteer work. Surprising (or not) how much time that takes, and you can't "make" anyone do some given task ;-)
Golf, but not often anymore. I took up golf and scuba in the same year two decades ago (useful tip--it's safer to stink at golf ;-)
Cycling. For exercise, road bikes up on the paved levee bike trail. Jogging. Swimming. Running races when younger, triathlons occasionally, (your joints last longer if you alternate using them as in swim, bike, run)
Used to ski a lot as a young dude, in New England. Then moved south to New Orleans where the warmer water got me interested of getting in the water and not just sailing on it.
In each sport (hobby), I went through a "do it a lot, you're learning" phase, wherein the other pursuits took a back seat. Diving was that way the first couple of years. Now it's a couple or three short trips a year, but I still enjoy it. Sorta like raising a kid?? Lots of devoted effort early on, then less, then mostly tapering to "maintenance level", or mostly hands-off. I skied not long ago out in the Sierras for first time in 25 years, could still do it but my quads were not happy.

Then, there's "work". Is that a hobby??

Didn't think so...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom