How many hobbies do you have, other than diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where do you guys find the time and money to do so many hobbies? I can't even keep up with just 2!

Reading is not that expensive and I’m shooting of an ammo stash. Range fees aren’t too bad. I’ve got lead therapy and bubble therapy. :D

Work DOES NOT count as a hobby...
Yes, it does! :D :D :D

Drones
3D Printing
Cave Diving
Maker Movement (Gainesville HackerSpace)
Woodworking
Homesteading
Teaching Fly Fishing for the BSA

Guitars/Tube Amps - Motorcycles - Photography - Guns - Reloading - Scuba is the newest Yes, it can get expensive but for me time is the issue, not money.

By far my guns are the largest investment for me, followed by Motorcycles and Photography. (Large white or fast lenses are expensive.)

I tend to go in phases, Guitars/Tube amps are cold right now, Motorcycles/Scuba are hot. Guns are at a steady state for now until something new interests me.

Let's see.....hobbies.

Well.....diving....obviously. And as a DM I spend at least one weekend at month at the lake helping with classes.
2. Music - another piano player here. Actually have a fairly cool story about that.....when I was about 12 my dad sold our piano, the one I grew up learning to play, because we were in a tight spot and he'd gotten laid off after 25 years with AT&T. This was back in....1989ish. His brother passed away late in the year last year and I got a call from my dad early this year after the dust had settled saying he had some news. Since I missed the call I called him back and he proceeded to tell me that all those years ago when he sold our piano, he sold it to his brother. Well, his brother's oldest son (my cousin), in the midst of figuring out what to do with all of my uncle's estate, decided to GIVE the piano back to my dad. Wow....I'm getting all teary eyed even now. I went to see my dad back in....March/April and after I walked in his house that evening, after putting my luggage away, etc. I walked into the back room, sat down at my piano and just started playing with tears in my eyes. It needs some TLC, especially in the way of tuning, but I don't know that I've ever heard a piano sound more beautiful than that moment. Granted, it's no Steinway and it's only an upright that's years older than I am, but I literally didn't have words. It's mine whenever I decide I want it, but for now I'll leave it with my dad so he can enjoy it for a little while longer.

As far as the rest of music goes....amateur production is another sort of hobby that goes along with my piano playing. And I'm no professional piano player; I've never played using sheet music (aside from Saxophone in band), but rather I play by ear.
3. Mountainbiking....although right now it's entirely too hot here to enjoy it so it's on hiatus at least until fall.
4. Airsoft....again way too hot so not again until fall, although it's been since Spring 2018 since I've played a game
5. RC - mainly crawlers but I do have a couple of quadcopters, go-fast truggies, etc.
6. Hiking - too hot right now

And last but certainly not least.....Being a Full-Time Dad. Not always a fun hobby. Actually don't know that it's so much a hobby as it is a lifestyle. And it's definitely the hardest thing I've ever attempted. But it's one helluva ride! And I'm signing my son up this weekend for his OW next month. Can't Wait!!!!!

Sorry, I moved it to an opt in forum. I just moved it to a non opt in forum.

Sweet bikes, especially the Yamaha. I'm a sucker for sport. I would have loved one, but I couldn't get over how uncomfortable they are, especially because I'm a lot smaller than the average guy riding these so I ended up with a Kawasaki ZX6R. My first bike was a Honda CBR500R, which I am considering selling soon. He is getting shafted and forgotten about since the Kawi came in the picture.

The tugboat is my salary and the ship are my hobbies. :wink: :giggle:

View attachment 536073

lmao at yer pic there... hey btw I just almost pulled the trigger on a new zx6r for trackdays. Ive done all the liter bikes, aprilia rsv1000r , zx10r etc. I want a nice midsize bike now. Im sort of waiting on the new version of the triumph daytona 675R. I think it should be out next year with a 765 size engine , up from the 675 cc . No matter what im picking up the ktm RC390 when the updated model comes out. those are only about 5k and are pretty fun. super duper light bike

Other hobbies (some I'm more actively involved in than others):

Motorcycling
Mountain biking
Shooting
Martial arts
Reading

The first 3 do compete with diving for time on weekends, and money to some extent. I've been taking a break from martial arts, and the savings has helped with purchases for other hobbies.

Let's see.....hobbies.

Well.....diving....obviously. And as a DM I spend at least one weekend at month at the lake helping with classes.
2. Music - another piano player here. Actually have a fairly cool story about that.....when I was about 12 my dad sold our piano, the one I grew up learning to play, because we were in a tight spot and he'd gotten laid off after 25 years with AT&T. This was back in....1989ish. His brother passed away late in the year last year and I got a call from my dad early this year after the dust had settled saying he had some news. Since I missed the call I called him back and he proceeded to tell me that all those years ago when he sold our piano, he sold it to his brother. Well, his brother's oldest son (my cousin), in the midst of figuring out what to do with all of my uncle's estate, decided to GIVE the piano back to my dad. Wow....I'm getting all teary eyed even now. I went to see my dad back in....March/April and after I walked in his house that evening, after putting my luggage away, etc. I walked into the back room, sat down at my piano and just started playing with tears in my eyes. It needs some TLC, especially in the way of tuning, but I don't know that I've ever heard a piano sound more beautiful than that moment. Granted, it's no Steinway and it's only an upright that's years older than I am, but I literally didn't have words. It's mine whenever I decide I want it, but for now I'll leave it with my dad so he can enjoy it for a little while longer.

As far as the rest of music goes....amateur production is another sort of hobby that goes along with my piano playing. And I'm no professional piano player; I've never played using sheet music (aside from Saxophone in band), but rather I play by ear.
3. Mountainbiking....although right now it's entirely too hot here to enjoy it so it's on hiatus at least until fall.
4. Airsoft....again way too hot so not again until fall, although it's been since Spring 2018 since I've played a game
5. RC - mainly crawlers but I do have a couple of quadcopters, go-fast truggies, etc.
6. Hiking - too hot right now

And last but certainly not least.....Being a Full-Time Dad. Not always a fun hobby. Actually don't know that it's so much a hobby as it is a lifestyle. And it's definitely the hardest thing I've ever attempted. But it's one helluva ride! And I'm signing my son up this weekend for his OW next month. Can't Wait!!!!!

Wow, that's some tear jerking story! I know that old pianos, especially ones that were played as a child, can bring back so many memories. I'm so happy that it is back where it belongs.

Back
Top Bottom