Nuffa That.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The fun part is that we go through all that to dive in green water without a lot of life to see. :)

I can think of a few applicable adjectives for that!

There’s a Pixar short called Piper that the videos above remind me of.

Time to retire to Florida. I don't think we have anything like that. You guys are "real" adventurers for sure. I don't think it would have occurred to me to try and dive such a site.
Yeah, we have snowbirded on the panhandle and Ala./Miss. for many years. You can find some interesting challenges there too if you look hard enough.

More power to you folks that go on a rock scramble just to go diving. You amaze me.
When it's your local diving and you don't know anything else yet, the whole goat climb down to the slimy boulders in the surge to get 10' viz on a good day - it really seems perfectly normal. I lost interest in that game 25 years ago, shortly after learning it wasn't. :narcosis:

Unfortunately, that's one of the easier shore dives around here. It requires a long walk to the shore, then timing the surf. Even if you time it correctly, the cobbles underwater are constantly moving. I always told others to take baby steps when entering/exiting Marineland.

Most of the other sites around here require hiking up and down goat trails. The cliffs are mostly 150-200 feet high and the trails can be slippery in spots. I've fallen on my backside more times than I care to remember. Wetsuit booties make lousy hiking boots.

View attachment 536061

View attachment 536062

View attachment 536063

View attachment 536064
Good lord, hire some sherpas...

Like it! Hopefully I'll be back on the Oregon coast in October, which this reminds me a little of, and this time on account of age and decrepitude I'm going to set up a rope and also take an ascender. And hopefully have shore support. Shore diving always benefits so much from helpers who are willing to carry gear and then sit and watch!

AfterDark----Yeah, I've driven around and looked at Beavertail. Doubt I'd consider that area even15 years ago. Ft. Weatherill is OK I guess (and free, like all RI State Parks), but a long drive from NY. My brother wants to meet up next Aug. and do an Atlantic shore dive in Newport--he was stationed there in the '80s but can't recall the best sites. Any advice?

AfterDark----Yeah, I've driven around and looked at Beavertail. Doubt I'd consider that area even15 years ago. Ft. Weatherill is OK I guess (and free, like all RI State Parks), but a long drive from NY. My brother wants to meet up next Aug. and do an Atlantic shore dive in Newport--he was stationed there in the '80s but can't recall the best sites. Any advice?

That last picture I posted of Green Bridge is a nice dive but a long swim. Just up the road is Kings Beach a easy-peasy site and nice diving.
Fort Adams in the back along the East Passage, recommend slack tide and flag there. Also Fort Getty it's on the way to Beavertail just after the beach; on the right.

There is one spot at Beavertail that is still doable but it's on the west side, most of the winds during the summer are S W SSW WSW, it's like a washing machine during westerly winds and exposed the south.

I got smart(er) and use a kayak from shore now. I choose beaches that are well protected as a point of departure and paddle north or south and come in by sea to those places with cliffs that people used to rappel down.
I have a nice wheel dolly and I can use the kayak as a cart to get my gear to the beach from the parking lot. Unlike Socal with 200’ cliffs, we have several accessible beaches that are right along side highway 1.

I have over 350 dives there. It can be a great dive, but there have also been many broken bones and four deaths there.

I don't have nearly that many dives at Old Marineland (aka, Terranea). Not a place for the faint of heart. Can't imagine doing that dive with doubles. Won't touch it if the surf is even slightly rough. Still, a great place to dive when the sun, moon and stars are in alignment.

Back
Top Bottom