How many hobbies do you have, other than diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My hobbies change with age. As a kid, I started with collecting stamps, painting, fishing, up keeping aquarium & pond fish. Then as teenager, I dropped the stamp collecting and spending after school time on martial arts (Kempo, Judo, Karate & Tae Kwon Do). In college, I start doing some hiking, skiing, rock climbing, more Tae Kwon Do and lots of fixing & modifying cars. After college and when I started going to work, earning extra $$$ to spend on hobbies, I'm hooked on having & modifying BMW cars for the last 30 years. I went through several models of BMW as commuting car & weekend car (320i, 325e, 635csi, 323iT, M6, X5). Nowadays I just use my X5 for work & M6 for weekend driving.

One day in 2005, one of my hiking buddies, who also a colleague at work and a dive instructor, introduced me to diving. Then I spend more time on diving and less on rock climbing, Tae Kwon Do and messing with my old (1985) M6. Currently, besides diving, I still do painting, skiing, hiking, and aquarium fish up keeping. At one time (December 2014) I combined hiking & diving vacation in Tanzania, summiting Mount Kilimanjaro in the first week and diving in Zanzibar & Pemba on the 2nd week.

The tugboat is my salary and the ship are my hobbies. :wink: :giggle:
Is that a tugboat or a towboat?

Wow! Reading through this thread, I got exhausted just thinking about everything everyone is doing besides SCUBA. I only have a couple of side hobbies that could be costly except I've already invested great sums into these hobbies, and the cost in the future is somewhat minimal. My other hobbies are hunting and amateur radio. I have a safe full of hunting implements and a couple of rooms full of radio equipment so the investment has been made. I have an annual budget for the 3 hobbies and when that's gone, I watch TV.
SCUBA is the only hobby that continues to cost me. I live next to water that can't be dived in (no vis) so I have to travel. Hence the cost.

Cheers -

I build guitars...

Warren...

2010_03020005.JPG
2010_03020004.JPG

My new hobby is learning to play the piano and am about to drop a good penny on a new piano.

Good for you! Welcome to the world of music, where no matter how much time you put into it, it will never be enough. I played sax for a couple of years in high school, then about 10 years ago decided to pick it up again after a 40 year layoff. Now playing in three jazz bands and a jam band, and between all the bands we gig about 2 - 3 times a month. And at about $25 a night, it just about pays for the gas. I sit in with a few bands down on Grand Cayman when we're there, and it's been a great way to meet a bunch of folks.

Also climb mountains during the summer (off to climb Katahdin this weekend), and I do landscape and wildlife photography - and just started learning to do underwater photography.

Good for you! Welcome to the world of music, where no matter how much time you put into it, it will never be enough. I played sax for a couple of years in high school, then about 10 years ago decided to pick it up again after a 40 year layoff. Now playing in three jazz bands and a jam band, and between all the bands we gig about 2 - 3 times a month. And at about $25 a night, it just about pays for the gas. I sit in with a few bands down on Grand Cayman when we're there, and it's been a great way to meet a bunch of folks.

Also climb mountains during the summer (off to climb Katahdin this weekend), and I do landscape and wildlife photography - and just started learning to do underwater photography.

Thank you! I also played clarinet and sax for a couple of years in elementary and high school. I'm considering joining the New Horizons Band in my region. They say they welcome all ages...so it might be my next new hobby. I find that once you get into music, you wanna learn everything!

The Beat Goes On

I have been doing woodworking for years before I started diving. Since I am terrible at time management, the only way I could do both is to alternate : focus on diving in the summer/fall and woodworking during the winter/spring.

Way too many hobbies and activities. Camping, hiking, kayaking, paddle boarding, yoga, dance, gardening, sewing, hand drumming, volunteer work, and many kinds of crafts. Some are seasonal and others come and go as time and mood allow.

Way back when we dove locally it sucked up a lot of summer weekends. When we dropped local diving, paddling sort of replaced it and filled the craving to be on the water.

Diving is not a hobby, it's my life. When I don't dive, I look at the Universe through one of my telescopes (look from the tidepool to the stars and back again as John Steinbeck wrote) or read.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom