Computer decision - buy or don't buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do most computers allow you to reset the dive data as a new user? For instance, if I get a used Luna..I know it records longest dive, deepest dive etc....will I be able to reset all that from the previous owner?

computers are not technically necessary but man do they make a big difference in your dive times because they don’t force you into a square profile where you NDL is based on your deepest depth (unless you calculate multi-level which is possible but takes more time).

I am still old school..I manually log all my dives and do the table calculations despite using a computer. About 3/4 of my dives I am beyond NDL limits according to the tables, but well within NDL limits on the computer due to the live calculation based on actual depths.

If all you are doing is shallow single dives, not a big deal but for anything approaching 60 ft for repetitive dives the computer really does extend your allowable bottom time and thus your enjoyment.
Absolutely agree with everything here. Only thing I would add is that most of my "deep" (60+) dives are square profiles anyway, though I still take the DC along. A small point I always throw in that I have never heard an instructor mention -- the fact that when using tables and your max depth is 90', your average max depth is probably 87-88', unless your nose is literally in the sand. So there is that little bit of conservatism. With a DC, when it says you have 15 mins. bottom time remaining it MEANS 15 mins., not really 16 or 17.

At those depths you have an unlimited runtime. Your current computer is working for what you do so I vote to spend the money on more diving or a heated vest to keep you in the water. I’m a nerd and like cool stuff but resist the urge to blow money on stuff that doesn’t matter right now. If you must, buy used and the cheap ones are fine for the scope of your dives.

That used predator above for 300 would be perfect imho

Do most computers allow you to reset the dive data as a new user? For instance, if I get a used Luna..I know it records longest dive, deepest dive etc....will I be able to reset all that from the previous owner?

It was easy to reset my used Petrel 2. Don't know about the Luna. You should be able to google any manufacturer's site for their user guide and confirm the reset functionality.

It was easy to reset my used Petrel 2. Don't know about the Luna. You should be able to google any manufacturer's site for their user guide and confirm the reset functionality.

I did check it out and there is a reset to factory option, however that is followed by an * transmitter binding, diver info and emergency information is not reset during this function. So not sure what exactly that includes.

You may want to send an email to ScubaPro and ask. When I bought my used Petrel 2 I had a few questions for Shearwater and they responded within 48 hours. Note that I'm a ScubaPro fan and own a SP bcd, regs and wetsuit. I've not had to connect with SP so I don't know what their level of service is like.

Give ScubaBoard a little time, as there might be a Luna owner that can confirm the reset function.

You may want to send an email to ScubaPro and ask. When I bought my used Petrel 2 I had a few questions for Shearwater and they responded within 48 hours. Note that I'm a ScubaPro fan and own a SP bcd, regs and wetsuit. I've not had to connect with SP so I don't know what their level of service is like.

Give ScubaBoard a little time, as there might be a Luna owner that can confirm the reset function.

It might also be worthwhile to start a new thread with that title in the subject line (resetting said model in question) to draw a bit more attention as someone who owns one might not be participating in this thread. The folks here are really helpful!

Hi @Viper12161, fellow Rhode Islander here. Not sure if your class was with Kalipso or with Giant Stride, but something to consider is if you will be doing trips with them. I’ve been doing the winter trip with Kalipso the past 2 years (typically 50-90’) so only about 1/3 of my diving is in the relatively shallow areas here. That being said, I don’t do as many dives as some of the hard core (mainly single or married to divers) local divers. Main point is, if you are thinking about doing those trips, get a computer that will give you a close NDL to what most of the others who travel with them will be getting. As mentioned earlier by @scubadada and @rsingler, this comes down to algorithm. Check with Tim or Red, depending on where you took classes, they can give you a close idea. As an example, most of the Kalipso gang dive Scubapro of some type, I dive Oceanic. My NDL is close enough that that there has never been a problem. Flip side, someone last year was diving a Suunto and couldn’t stay down as long.

However, if you’re just doing local diving I agree with the “dive what you have for now and do some research, then get what you want” camp.

Erik

I have a little different take...
I choose my algorithm based on my personal estimate of its safety and how I want to dive. If my NDL is consistently significantly less than my group by a few minutes, my buddy and I can end our dive a little earlier.
I will only change to match others if I'm convinced I'm being too conservative. The older I get, the less I think that. What's a couple minutes each dive if you escape being bent? I've made it 30+ years that way, and I usually end up diving longer than the air hogs, anyway. If the aggressive folks get a few minutes more, good for them. Just not my risk/benefit choice.

BTW, I've settled on Shearwater's ZHL-16C algorithm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom