GUE Fundamentals Class Report (22 APR 2019)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm.... page 55-56
"Of course, it is possible to dive alone, but team diving with qualified buddies is much safer and far more rewarding."

Heresy! It is not possible to dive alone!! Never! - said the frequent solo (sidemount) diver, me, with mock outrage. (dual sidemount, dual bladder, shallow, calm, well trained, broad experience, 150+ dives, ...)

For those that respond "is much safer and far more rewarding", surface supply diving from a fully equipped diver support vessel is as well. Why aren't we using one of them?

Thanks for posting that. It is nice to see some of the Fundies materials.
Opportunity to poke at solo issues aside, which might cross the 'not getting the mindset' threshold.

LOL, and if I recall correctly sidemount was also much maligned. Not DIR and should a DIR diver have a bad accident or die whilst diving, it always was then presented as the sad situation was because that diver had not been following DIR practices on that fateful day.

In any event, time has passed, knowledge and sharing of same has evolved.

LOL, and if I recall correctly sidemount was also much maligned. Not DIR and should a DIR diver have a bad accident or die whilst diving, it always was then presented as the sad situation was because that diver had not been following DIR practices on that fateful day.

In any event, time has passed, knowledge and sharing of same has evolved.

Sidemount was used even in the earliest days of the WKPP back in the '90's. GUE didn't start teaching it formally until more recently, and even then, only to the most qualified in specific circumstances. It's always been the most optimal tools for the job.

It's always been the most optimal tools for the job.

And who decides what is most optimal? Don't answer that please. People have different preferences and based on such choose their configuration.

Hmmm.... page 55-56
"Of course, it is possible to dive alone, but team diving with qualified buddies is much safer and far more rewarding."

For those that respond "is much safer and far more rewarding", surface supply diving from a fully equipped diver support vessel is as well. Why aren't we using one of them?
Not from heresay, but from actual experience I can tell you dibving with qualified (meaning skilled, experienced and equally trained divers sharing the same protocol) makes diving a lot more fun and relaxing. However, diving with someone that does not have the experience and traning with lacking skills is no fun at all and maybe more dangerous than diving solo.

Context matters.

In a highly trained team, 3 has advantages. Redundancy, extra brains, more muscle to drag/tow. The down side of more people clutter and harder sight lines seems worth it. This is the 3 is good context.

In a lightly trained cluster, 3 means everyone thinks someone else is watching the others and no one is. This is the 3 is bad context, where that has not changed.
So true.

In bad vis, 3 person teams aren’t advisable. You see one guy, and the other guy sees you, but the third team member gets forgotten about.

In good vis, I think 3 people is a good redundant number.

AJ:
Not from heresay, but from actual experience I can tell you dibving with qualified (meaning skilled, experienced and equally trained divers sharing the same protocol) makes diving a lot more fun and relaxing. However, diving with someone that does not have the experience and traning with lacking skills is no fun at all and maybe more dangerous than diving solo.
This. I am landlocked and with current choice of dive buddies I feel more secure diving solo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom