Anyone know how to work on HOG Octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Morgan_5

Registered
Reaction score
Is anyone familiar on how to adjust a HOG octo? We have one that has a slight free flow. We took it to our lds to get it serviced before we flight out to Mexico and of course it doesn't free flow in the shop. I hear they are pretty simple to work on, just want to get an idea on how to maybe fix the issue if it starts to free flow once in Mexico.

Are you SURE it's not the 1st stage IP? Was that checked?
If the IP is creeping up that needs to be dealt with first, a whole different issue. Only then can you deal with the 2nd.
Note-I assume you mean it's 'leaking/hissing' a bit, NOT blowing air like a gale. THAT's a free flow.

First, can you tune it out by screwing the adjustment knob in as necessary?

If the IP is good, AND you cannot simply tune the leak out with the diver adjustment, remove the hose.
Inside the hose opening you should see a small Allen wrench fitting. (On many regs it's a screw slot.) Mine is a 3/8".
Set the adjustment knob in the middle of the range, venturi open.
If you screw the Allen IN > it closes it, makes it harder to crack open.
If you screw it OUT, it becomes easier and more likely to free flow.
VERY SMALL amounts of movement make a noticeable difference.
You have to adjust, put it back together, pressurize, and test repeatedly to get it adjusted. Special tools are required to do this while pressurized.

Likely yours needs about 1/32 to 1/16 of a turn in to stop it if it's fine on the bench.
All this is assuming there is no inherent flaw in the seat itself.

I tune mine so it .....just....stops leaking with the adjustment knob all the way out.

Definitely put an IP gauge on there to validate the first stage. I like my regs to read ~135psi, but what matters more is that they're consistent. Adjusting that is easy, but shouldn't be necessary.

Adjusting the second stage is as fmerkel posted, above, so it should be very easy to do.

Having said that: These regs are of a very standard design, and any shop's reg tech should be able to do a little tuning for you if necessary.

I’m not very familiar with HOG regulators, so what follows is general information and may not apply.

Yes, everyone should have an IP gauge, and in the OP’s case it would be very helpful. But, what if you don’t have an IP gauge? You’re on vacation/on a desert island/ in the middle of the Pacific Ocean in a life boat and you want to get a dive in-but darn it, you dropped your IP gauge and you need to figure out what to do about a slight freeflow.

The OP has two second stage, one has a slight freeflow-the other does not. Possibly there’s elevated IP or creep coming from the first stage. If it’s a simple matter of elevated IP-just adjust the second stages. See @fmerkel ‘s post #2. If there is IP creep, the first stage needs attention. However, we need to determine if there’s creep or not. Remove the second stage with the freeflow and plug the port. Hook the first stage up to a tank and pressurize. Wait 30-60 seconds. Does the “good” second stage begin to freeflow? If yes, the first stage is suffering. If no, chances are the removed second stage needs either a tweak, again as described by @fmerkel in post #2 or it will need service.

Now there are some people who will try to kill you by offering bad advice. I’m only giving the information below so you know what bad advice looks like-even though it may sound like it makes perfect sense. These people may tell you, “That’s not a bad freeflow, just swap it out with your other second stage and use it as a primary. That way you’re not wasting the gas that flows from it. Have it serviced when you can and enjoy your vacation.”

One addition to fmerkel's procedure: While adjusting the second stage orifice, the purge button should be depressed to prevent seat engraving.

One of the reasons I always care a spare first stage on vacations now. Had exactly the problem you describe. I even loaned it to a Phillipine dive guide that had a horrible first stage leak (HP O-ring probably) on a MK25.

Its my boyfriends and he said that when he took it to the LSD where it was bought one of the guys took it and hooked it up to a tank and it didn't free flow. I'm not sure if they used a IP Gauge on it or not. He told them that since it didn't free flow when it was attached to the tank there was nothing they could do at that point. It only has 4 dives on it since we bought it so I thought it may just need a little tuning.

Sounds like you guys need to find a different shop for service... Are there any other dive shops in your town?

Sounds like you guys need to find a different shop for service... Are there any other dive shops in your town?
There is but I think there are only 3 in GA that service HOG. The one we bought it from was the closest to us.

If you're going to buy an IP gauge get yourself the inline adjustment tool as well. It makes it a lot easier to quickly adjust your 2nd stage and avoids any inadvertent damage. Scuba tools sells both online. Hogs are easy to work on once you know what to do.

Back
Top Bottom