Still Learning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was in the pool when I did it but ok.

Certainly no harm in doing it, particularly if someone is interested, but just not a specific requirement. Excerpt from PADI instructor manual:

Skill Performance Requirements
Have participants complete the following skills in shallow water: Exception: Only BCD inflation/deflation required for pool-only experience. • Breathing underwater • Regulator clearing• Regulator recovery • Mask clearing • Equalization techniques • Inflate and deflate a BCD at the surface If participants will go on an open water dive, and shallow water for skills practice is inaccessible, an instructor conducts the skills session from a boat, dock or other surface support station by using a descent line, horizontal bar or platform that is within 2 metres/6 feet of the surface. T h e ratio is 1:1 when using the descent line option.

Ah if you never go any further than the pool, got it.

You'd think breathing underwater would be included in that lol

LOL... good point. I've been looking at that list of DSD skills for years, have done many pool DSDs, and never noticed that technically "breathing underwater" is not on the required skill list.

Congrats and keep your head up about the book work. Remember that a lot of the book work is actually tied to equipment that you will use or skills you will do so there is a lot of practical application associated with it which makes it easier to retain. My wife is the one who can retain knowledge by simply reading it. I need the hands on association to help make it click. Repetition. Repetition. Repetition.
Welcome to underwater world.

congrats on taking the plunge. ar ar i too only took this up in my late 40s and never regretted it but i snicker when a pool session gets cancelled by rain unless there was lightening in the area .oooh im getting wet i from the rain i dont like this lol

I started at 50. You're already ahead of many new trainees, since you're already comfortable in the water from your snorkeling trips. Once you can get your head underwater with a mask and breathe through that regulator (and almost everyone who tries it, can), you'll progress from there.
And once you're all geared up and in the water, you'll adjust your buoyancy jacket and discover weightlessness. Waaayyy coooll, and still a big buzz for me 20 years later.

Well done on taking the first steps! Just give it time and you will get there. Plenty interesting things to learn and lots of good experiences ahead of you. Remember that this is only the beginning and a lot of experience will come with the adventures going forward.

Back
Top Bottom