Who makes the "BEST" Carbon fins used for freediving/spearfishing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pretty much any carbon fin is a night-and-day improvement over any plastic fin. They have relatively low resistance when you kick but they really load up and when you come to the end of your cycle they unload and you jet forward.

The difference between carbon and fiberglass is less dramatic, but still quite noticeable.

Between brands of carbon fins there are performance differences but they will be more subtle -- a lot to do with the weave, the way the fiber is laid up (progressive vs. linear etc) and the overall stiffness of the blade. More noticeable is the fit and comfort of the foot pocket. Some pockets will interchange with other brands, some do not. Some pockets glue in (complicated) and others screw in.

I would try on some a bunch of pockets until you find ones that are comfortable and fit well, and then you can narrow your selection to blades in your budget that work with the pockets you like.

Is C4 something more special? Some people claim that C4 is the "inventor" of Carbon fiber fins and guns.

Who is he? I don't remember him here on SB. It isn't Dumpster Diver, is it?

Come on man you know him, Dan Volker was the dude recommending freediving fins in all the fin threads
giving us all the ins and the outs very knowledgeable and entertaining and challenging the people to a race

another one of the ones with brains and skill sacrificed to the wayside

Come on man you know him, Dan Volker was the dude recommending freediving fins in all the fin threads
giving us all the ins and the outs very knowledgeable and entertaining and challenging the people to a race

another one of the ones with brains and skill sacrificed to the wayside

He isn't around on SB now?

Tried all of those, for deep diving I prefer XT Diving, for all around spearfishing Pathos and C4. The rest are not even in the same class.

At the moment I dive Blacktech and Zero fins, both from small Croatian manufacturers, Blacktech has a great range of fins for more than a fair price, Zero is also quite good.

Tried all of those, for deep diving I prefer XT Diving, for all around spearfishing Pathos and C4. The rest are not even in the same class.

What makes one good for deep diving than the others? What is the criteria for that? Same thing for spearfishing please.

What about Beuchat and Omer?

Blacktech and Zero fins, both from small Croatian manufacturers,

Website links please?

Beauchat and Omer are on the low end of the spectrum, Omer is actually straight up bad.

Good freediving fins are very flexible and light, usually also a bit longer. They offer great thrust ratio with the proper fining technique but are noisy (they "sing" if you are fining the right way) and are not that great in different orientations that spearfishing requires.
Spearfishing fins are usually a bit shorter and stiffer, they work better with bad fining techniques and variable conditions (swell, high current, horizontal swimming, being over weighted...)

BLACKTECH | High-End Carbon Fins for Spearfishing and Freediving

Zero does not have a webpage, or at least I can't find it.

Beauchat and Omer are on the low end of the spectrum, Omer is actually straight up bad.

Good freediving fins are very flexible and light, usually also a bit longer. They offer great thrust ratio with the proper fining technique but are noisy (they "sing" if you are fining the right way) and are not that great in different orientations that spearfishing requires.
Spearfishing fins are usually a bit shorter and stiffer, they work better with bad fining techniques and variable conditions (swell, high current, horizontal swimming, being over weighted...)

BLACKTECH | High-End Carbon Fins for Spearfishing and Freediving

Zero does not have a webpage, or at least I can't find it.

What would you recommend for use with scuba, the carbon fins for spearfishing or freediving?

Stiff spearfishing ones if you really want to use long fins for scuba, deep air divers for corals use them a lot in the Med.

I can offer a few ideas on the topic. The first is that the stiffness of the fin is probably the most important factor in performance. Typically when you are buying a higher end blade made of fiberglass, carbon fiber or a composite of the two, the diver has the option of selecting different stiffnesses.

Divers who are under 200 lbs, or who will be swimming long distances on the surface are going to prefer a softer blade. They are somewhat doing “endurance” diving. On the other hand, if the diver is in cold water, then they are going to wear a thick wetsuit and if they are diving deep in cold water, then they will be coming off the bottom while quite negative. Many people prefer to have a stiffer fin for this type of diving. The same criteria may apply toward diving depth; if a diver is making many shallow freedives in the day, then they may prefer a softer fin, while a diver who is doing much deeper and fewer dives may prefer a stiffer fin. In general, softer blades are more popular than stiffer ones.

All of the above issues pertain to breathhold diving. The question was raised about spearfishing as well. When freediving for some fish, it is often desirable to have the power to keep the fish from running into a cave or wreck, immediately after being shot. Groupers for example, are know for this. So in this type of situation, you may want a fin that can provide an immediate burst of power that will allow the diver to better control the fish on the initial (at least) portion of the ascent. This type of situation would tip the scale toward stiffer fins.

The topic of fins is a huge issue and I can’t begin to scratch the surface with a post and almost every specific point does not have universal agreement between divers.

Another significant issue is the foootpockets. Comfort and fit is important, but there also can be considerable variability in the stiffness of the materials used. The type of footpocket can have a significant effect on how a fin feels and the perceived stiffness.

The question seems to also include what is best for scuba divers. I’m not sure if there is a consensus on stiffness for this application, but I would guess that there may be more of a bias for a stiffer fin (compared to freediving) since the diver is pushing more gear and there is more drag.

The current carbon fiber fins are very tough. It is unlikely they will break from kicking (no matter how hard), but the giant stride entry from a considerable height should be modified to ensure that the heels are together on entry and the blades bend upward on entry. Carbon fins are potentially vulnerable to cracking if abused and crushed by heavy tanks on the boat etc. Very sharp impacts to the trailing edge of any long fin could cause chipping or the initiation of a crack. So some care is advised, but there are no issues when diving normally. If a diver were entering over a very rocky shore line in heavy surf, a blade could be cracked if wedged in a rock for example.

In general, fiberglass fins are thought to be the most durable and carbon fiber slightly less so. Carbon is generally thought to provide the best performance, but is generally more expensive. I should emphasize that a quality fiberglass fin that appropriately matches the diver’s physical abilities, preference and application (i.e, the proper stiffness) will be better than a carbon fin that is either too soft or too stiff.

Blades can eventually wear out and crack after probably millions of kick cycles and this most often occurs just below the toe of the foot, often in the vicinity of the bend in the blade. We are currently offering a carbon fiber fin which includes a light weight, polymer reinforcement under the sole of the blade. This serves to significantly strengthen the blade in this critical area and is intended to significantly increase the durability of the blade.

I can’t say what is the best CF fin for all of freediving, spearfishing and scuba diving, because personal preference, strength, kicking technique and application all vary greatly. Another potentially important consideration is the fin assembly. Some fins (like the MAKO) allow the user to remove and replace the blades from the pocket relatively easily. This allows the replacement of a damaged blade or a footpocket that eventually tears, or even an upgrade in the type of blades used. Some other manufactures use a construction technique that requires the use of permanent glueing, and once the pocket is assembled it can not be reused. Possibly an important consideration.

We sell a variety of long fins which represent a broad range of costs and materials including fixed blade fins (the most affordable) as well as replaceable polymer blades, fiberglass blades and pure carbon blades.

Here’s a look at our carbon fins:

https://www.makospearguns.com/Carbon-Elite-Freedive-Fins-p/mceff.htm

MCEFF-2T.jpg

I should probably add, please don't be put off when you see the price of our Carbon fins. They may be half what some other manufacturer's offer in the retail market. We sell direct to the diver and can pass on significant savings.

Thanks

dano

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom