Question on Halcyon traveler pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deaf diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi all. I'm thinking about a traveler pro but I don't know which wing to get. I don't dive with any weight in tropical locations. I use 4when im in a full 7mm semi dry hollis in cold water. I'm thinking a 20#wing is sufficient... Thoughts??

A wing needs to float your rig at the surface with a full cylinder and compensate for buoyancy loss at depth. 20# may be sufficient if you aren’t diving large steel cylinders while wearing thick neoprene.

Example: A PST-E7 is -10.5 Lbs when full. Combine that with buoyancy loss from thick neoprene compression and you may well be more than 20#s negative when you get to depth at the beginning of a dive.

20# is great for tropical diving with aluminum cylinders and little or no neoprene. You might want to go a little heavier in colder water with 7mm. A 30# wing if you want to use the same one for both locations is a good option. Adding a drysuit would work also.

Also consider:

Plate material - SS is about 5-6 pounds negative
Can light?
Regulator set?
Knife or cutting tool?

That is about all I carry on a typical dive but with an 18# wing, just the cylinder and the plate would account for -16.5#s without considering neoprene compression. My tropical rig has an 18# wing and fabric backplate and I’m diving AL80’s. Life is good!

Back
Top Bottom