Rapid Ascent from 20-30 meters. Symptoms of DCI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I felt ok and nervous on the plane to Guayaquil. When landing in Quito I felt physically worse.

You were physically OK on the plane because of the air on board but Quito being so high altitude, you were feeling the effects. My guess

Hey thanks guys. Although I was freaked out by the itching hands (I woke up with them itching, so not sure if I could have manufactured that, but you’re right it is something I read about beforehand). In the morning they weren’t itching anymore, and I wasn’t feeling as lightheaded. I talked to DAN again, this time the agent recommended I talk to the dive doc on the other island. After trying to call several times and getting frustrated by not having enough service to talk, and my flight coming up very soon with no way to change it without paying a lot, I elected to take the risk (whether real or imagined) and take my flight. I went to the dive company just to talk to a dive master again, and he suggested I take aspirin (he said to help the nitrogen diffuse?), and reassured me that what I was experiencing wasn’t concerning (to him), and that I was ok to fly.

On the flight to Guayaquil i felt ok, maybe just anxious. On my connection to Quito, when landing, I felt decidedly worse. Lightheaded, dizzy, but no itching. I looked for oxygen (had seen some bottles in pharmacies there before) but couldn’t find any. My trip plan was to take a bus to Colombia, so I did that ASAP to get to lower altitude. Still took a good 18 hours. I’m now in Cali at about 1000m, and can say I feel basically back to normal. So, I don’t wanna jump the gun but hopefully whatever I was experiencing, whether real or some anxiety effects, is behind me.

As to why DAN wasn’t originally concerned, i can’t say exactly. I told them everything I told you guys. They asked me questions about my symptoms, if I could walk in a straight line, cognitive ability, etc. I don’t have joint pain which I guess is very typical with DCS. Maybe it was my dive profile, Idk. But it’s a bit at odds with the almost over-cautious info they give on their website.

Anyways, I will certainly practice clearing my mask a lot before next time. I do think my strap was seated too high on my head, pulling the bottom of the mask, because I remember it feeling uncomfortably tight and high under my nose. That probably made it harder to clear.

Thanks again for the help.

Hi @DylDiver ,

It's interesting that you felt the dizziness on landing, and that it went away after a while. This is more suggestive of some sort of inner ear process, possibly alternobaric vertigo as I mentioned before. This can happen when the pressures inside the right and left middle ears are different. It is transient and not harmful in and of itself. This is not a prescription of course, but some people find oxymetazoline nasal spray and/or over-the-counter decongestants like pseudoephedrine helpful if they're experiencing congestion. If you choose to do this, make sure you follow the directions on the package; and ensure that whatever you're taking is compatible with any other meds you take and won't exacerbate any existing medical condition.

Best regards,
DDM

I am not a doctor so I will not comment on your symptoms but I will offer some advice on how to make your diving more pleasant in the future.

Find a sheltered location pool is preferred. Ask your local dive shop if you can utilize there hours to pratice your skills etc just find a safe secure place with 3-4 meters or 10-12 feet of water and no current surf etc.

First step put yourself on the bottom and pratice removing and putting your mask back on clearing it. Keep practicing make sure your not holding your breath etc while doing it. Once you are 100 percent on this time for step 2

Step 2 establish yourself 1 to 2 feet from the bottom in trim pratice keeping your position in the water table maintain trim and buoyancy. Once you get that down step 3

Step 3 combine the two establish yourself 1-2 feet from the bottom check your gauge once your comfortable remove your mask and put it back on make sure not to hold your breath etc check your gauge did you move at all, keep practicing until you have it down.

Repeat the above with all your basic skills. Thus will help prevent panic if something happens on your next trip. It will take time but is well worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom