Dive Fatality in Upper Keys, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arcilux

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
From Monroe County Sheriff's Office MCSO - Florida Keys

Man dies after dive incident

A 50-year-old Potomac, Maryland man died after a dive incident Tuesday afternoon off the Upper Keys.

Kamran Youssefieh was brought to Tavernier Creek Marina at 3:55 p.m. where he was pronounced dead by Islamorada Fire Rescue.

Youssefieh reportedly had been diving in about 25 feet of water at Little Conch Reef with Conch Republic Dive Charters. Youssefieh was seen unconscious, face down on the water without his regulator.

The charter crew got him in the boat and began CPR. A U.S. Coast Guard crew also boarded the vessel and performed CPR while en route to shore. Paramedics ashore also attempted to revive Youssefieh.

Foul play is not suspected.

Autopsy results are pending.

Curious as to what the autopsy says on this one. That's a pretty tame dive. I'd also be interested in knowing when during the dive this happened and what the sea conditions were that day.

Curious as to what the autopsy says on this one. That's a pretty tame dive. I'd also be interested in knowing when during the dive this happened and what the sea conditions were that day.

Would also like to know the cause and what comes of this. My wife and I just got back from a week in key largo just 2 days before this and logged 9 dives at different reefs with little to no current at all with our max depth for all dives being 38 ft and a water temp on average of 89 degrees. Very laid back diving and lots of things to see. It was our first trip to the keys and we have talked about how safe and fun it can be to dive shallow there and with lots of bottom time and tons of marine life. So this is very sad to hear and I'm very curious as to what happened.

Wrong thread

I keep meaning to put a bungee on my long-hose as well, I always breath off the tank with the short-hose and bungee on the bottom in case I tox or pass out, but a heart attack can happen at ANY depth, two bucks to keep your reg in your mouth seems like good value. Have to remember to actually do it this time!

From Monroe County Sheriff's Office MCSO - Florida Keys
Anyone that takes the time to read DAN Annual Dive Accident Analysis will know: often cardiac, dehydration, poor health, poor equipment condition, Last Dive 10 year ago, are just a small sampling of contributing factors. This type incident “sucks” on so many levels; the family (1st & foremost, especially on vacation), and the trauma to the entire boat crew. No one wants this incident in “their” boat but it happens. And the USCG will go thru every crew members background, training, etc. with fine tooth comb to be sure it wasn’t “their” failure. Always sad, but been part of suck resuscitation attempts and known those factors (afterward) never surprises me.

Back
Top Bottom