Nuffa That.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My friend Jeff Shaw was sitting on a rock in that slot waiting for a wave when a big one came in and broke his ribs. I was knocked backward while putting on my fins and ended up losing one. I made the dive with one fin and bought a replacement on Ebay that same day. A few weeks later, a fisherman found my lost fin and returned it, so I have a spare.

During a Scubaboard outing, we had one diver break his ankle while his buddy received cuts and bruises during the exit in the cove,

Merry and I were diving with Ted Sharshan (Ted's Pinnacle) during the calmest of days. While exiting, he reached down to catch himself in six inches of water and broke three fingers.

I broke my left foot, but that was during the construction of Terranea Resort. The trail was muddy, so I had a great idea to remove mud from the tires of the wagon I used to haul our gear. I rode the wagon down the hill near the temporary parking lot. I tried to stop Fred Flintstone style but my feet instantly curled under the tires and I was thrown over the handle. I had cuts over 50% of my body and two broken bones. I'm a slow learner. :)

We also had a free diver drown there, an obese scuba diver died of a heart attack after entering the water and a fifteen boy making his first post-certification dive with his Dad panicked and shot to the surface in only twelve feet, suffering an embolism.

Those are only the injuries I've known about. I'm sure there have been more. I used to tell people that if you haven't been hurt at Marineland, you haven't dived there enough.

The Reef Check folks used to do surveys at OML but stopped after one of the volunteers broke an ankle. One of the folks I dive with broke a wrist.

No way would I take any newly minted diver (regardless of age or physical conditioning) to OML in even the best of conditions. Dad was probably beaten senseless by his wife upon returning home for that decision.

Kinda why I have a boat. Shore diving sucks.

[....]

The proper name for 'shore diving' should be 'stupid diving'.

More power to you folks that go on a rock scramble just to go diving. You amaze me.
I resemble that remark, @Stoo

I was reading an article on how many calories we burn diving. It said we burn 300 an hour on a leisurely tropical boat dive and 600 on a shore dive in temperate (whatever that is) water. I think you folks climbing up and down hills are burning FAR more than that. Eat up and enjoy the extra calories!!! And wear knee and elbow pads while you're at it!!

Here's another site where I enjoyed diving. That table top looking rock right there is launch point at high tide. Cathedral Rocks Rockport, MA Lobster heaven back in the 1980's
Cathedral Rocks.jpg

NE Mountain Goat diving at it's best. I can't believe I toted BM double 72's up and down those rocks. WTH was I thinking?!
A18JFT.jpg

Here's another site where I enjoyed diving. That table top looking rock right there is launch point at high tide. Cathedral Rocks Rockport, MA Lobster heaven back in the 1980's
View attachment 536917

NE Mountain Goat diving at it's best. I can't believe I toted BM double 72's up and down those rocks. WTH was I thinking?!
View attachment 536918

It is still on my list (perhaps even this season, weather permitting). So is it good for bug hunting? I hear it drops down to 75-80 fsw, I may not bring a whole lot of bugs from that depth.

We did some of our AOW dives at Cathedral Rocks, partly because it was a shore dive with enough depth for the deep dive. Again, never occurred to me this was anything out of the ordinary!

It is still on my list (perhaps even this season, weather permitting). So is it good for bug hunting? I hear it drops down to 75-80 fsw, I may not bring a whole lot of bugs from that depth.

It drops to at least that, I seem to remember hitting 100FSW there at times. It was bug heaven as I posted it was back in the 1980's. The climate change experts tell us that the ocean is warming so there are and should be fewer bugs closer to shore. I used to use a dry suit up there I'd guess with all the warming going on a 7MM would do these days. Maybe I'll try Folly Cove with my 3MM next summer.

View attachment 536917

View attachment 536918
I once drove up to the Rockport area from NY & back in one looong day. I found one of those beaches (with parking meters) that was nothing at all like those spots you post. Pretty chilly water for my shorty though, even in July.

I once drove up to the Rockport area from NY & back in one looong day. I found one of those beaches (with parking meters) that was nothing at all like those spots you post. Pretty chilly water for my shorty though, even in July.

You probably dove Back Beach I'd guess. A pretty tame site. Folly Cove is not quite as tame because of the ankle breaking size rocks one has to get thru to get to the water. I dove Cathedral Rocks in 2010 for the last time. Here's a couple of pictures from that day. The water wasn't anywhere near as bad as the stock pictures I posted. Rockport was a 1.5 hour ride from where I lived in the 80's. We'd drive 3 hours round trip for an hour of night diving and climbing rocks, in scuba gear in the dark. Youth.
Seaview Catheral Rocks.JPG

seweed and surge  Catheral Rocks.JPG

https://images.app.goo.gl/VkxwCHHGZVbntCvc6
Mendocino Headlands - Arch Rock
I’ve crab crawled over that land bridge and down to rock the edge of the water where you can giant stride right off the rock and be in 40’ of water. There are other trails down to the cove but they go way around and take a while to hike down. It’s a beautiful spot when it’s nice and hell if there's any south swell.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom