What the Heck do I buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all,

As a quick introduction I got my open water cert back in 1992 at Notre Dame. I have been a vacation/cruise diver since then. I had a great cruise diving photography experience in April and I decided I wanted and needed to get more serious about diving to get the most out of it. I just completed my Advanced Open Water Class and am excited about diving more regularly both locally and on vacation. Here is the dilemma. I want a travel rig (BCD, regulator, etc.) that will serve me well for my likely needs. (Maybe 10 dives a year with the emphasis on travel in warm climates and photography).

The place where I took my class recommends the Aqualung Rogue as a great travel BCD and many of them use it when they travel. I like to do my own research and while I have found many reviews of the Rogue I haven't found one scuba oriented blog, website, or group that recommends it as a great travel BCD. I can't even find any online stores that sell it.

My question:

Do any of you use the Rogue and if so do you think it is a great travel bcd and I should buy it? If none of you use it or know anyone who uses it, what would you recommend? I definitely do not want a jacket style BCD. As I said I am getting into photography and everyone seems to recommend against the jacket style. The regulator / octo setup will likely be the Aqualung core or the micron. Since cruising is typically a yearly vacation, I want something that travels well and the modularity of the Rogue seems good. It is just very concerning that I can't find anyone online recommending people to buy it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Welcome to Scubaboard! We're glad to have you and you can learn all kinds of stuff here!

@The Aquamaniac

The Aqua Lung Outlaw and Rogue are only sold in brick and mortar stores, that's why you are unable to find them online. I only have experience with the Outlaw, the Rogue may solve some of my complaints, but not all Aqualung Outlaw

Aqualung has only recently (past 5 years) allowed dealers to sell online. Rogue is a new model (last year) so there may not be much written about it yet.

IDK the Rogue at all. Zuma is their lightweight travel BC - it folds up small enough to go into their supplied drawstring bag.

You might also consider it's competition - ScubaPro's Lighthawk or Zeagle's Covert XL. I believe the Covert is advertised as the lightest at 3.9lbs - Zuma's are just over 4lbs.

IIRC Lighthawks are closer to 5 something.

What does the type of bcd have to do with photography? Buoyancy control is a skill, not a piece of equipment.

I have a mikron for travel and atomic m1's for local diving. In hindsight, I should have just gotten another set of atomics for travel. The 2nd stages aren't much bigger than the mikron but the first stage layout is better for a 40" primary hose.

I'm going to agree with the backplate wing suggestion but I am partial to them. I traveled with my stainless one, my carry on was a little heavy but not bad. Security didn't know what to make of it till they opened it and saw the regs and computer.

I'm going to agree with the backplate wing suggestion but I am partial to them. I traveled with my stainless one, my carry on was a little heavy but not bad. Security didn't know what to make of it till they opened it and saw the regs and computer.

As another former nuke, I'm also going to suggest a backplate and wing. I travel with mine multiple times per year without any issues and they're much better than a traditional "BCD" for diving imo.

For travel, look at a Dive Rite Transpac, the soft backplate travels very well and I really don't need much weight for tropical diving...and I'm pretty floaty. Add a 20-30 pound wing and a couple of weight pockets and you're ready to go. I have a backplate rig as well, but the Transpac is the goto rig 90% of the time.

Good luck,
Jay

The Rogue is a pretty darn good back inflate BCD. Cushioned and modular to fit almost anyone (you can switch out the different parts for different sizes to fit you). As I understand it, it's designed to be able to disconnect straps and bands to be changed out if there's a weight change or growth. So I would imagine that even if just pressing the assembled BCD down isn't flat, you could disconnect enough joints to lay it flat. I've never dove it but one of my buddies has it and is very happy with it. It has plenty of little loops to put D rings or clasps on for equipment

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom