Flights to Red Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Mike Walker & @Darnold9999 thank you for suggesting Steven’s Taxis! They have been very responsive & quoting very reasonable prices. Hopefully everything will go smoothly when the rubber hits the road in December.

@Mike Walker thanks for the tips on getting local SIM card. I plan to bring my old unlocked iPhone4s to use it with the local SIM card while I’m there. That’s what I do when I’m in Indonesia.

I'm thinking of doing an LOB on the Red Sea. From my research, most LOBs seem to leave from Marsa Alam/Port Ghalib (as opposed to Hurghada), at least the ones I've looked at, and in particular, the Aggressor boats that I'm interested in. I live in Toronto.

I've done some preliminary research on flights and have found it difficult to get a flight into Marsa Alam that made any sense. I first tried Toronto-Cairo-Marsa Alam on Egyptair. This option has me getting into Marsa Alam several days before the Saturday arrival, and then I don't get to leave Marsa Alam until several days after the departing Saturday. I really wanted this trip to be as efficient as possible, in and out so to speak, so as to waste as little days as possible. This is due to limited vacation days available and other responsibilities at home. I know many people opt to stay in Egypt for at least a few extra days to take in the sites and stuff but that won't work for us right now.

So, I tried Toronto-Cairo-Hurghada on Egyptair. This option does get me into Hurghada on Friday for the 3 hour car ride from Hurghada to Port Ghalib. I stay overnight in Port Ghalib and board the boat the next day, which I think is ideal. At the end of the trip, flight departure is one day after the Saturday debarkation, which is acceptable.

So my question for those that have done this trip before from Toronto or another North American city, is the Hurghada option my best option? Are there other options I've not thought of? Thank you.

I thank you too for starting this thread. My December diving vacation is now set. :)

I’ll be leaving Houston at 20:55 on 19 December, 2019 to Istanbul with Turkish Airlines, arriving Istanbul at 17:35 (11hrs 40min flight duration) with 7.5 hrs layover. I’ll find a nice restaurant in the airport and have a little nap in Star Alliance airport lounge until ready to board the next flight at 01:05 on 21 December, arriving Hurghada at 02:55.

Steven’s Taxis chauffeur would be out there waiting for me outside the arrival gate with my name on a stick. He then would take me to Marriott Beach Resort for morning nap. By noon another chauffeur would pick me up & drive me to Port Ghalib Marina & drop me off to board Red Sea Aggressor I at 16:00.

After the liveaboard trip, another chauffeur & a tour guide would pick me up at the Port Ghalib marina at 04:00 on 28 December, to a tour of Luxor (09:00-18:00). After the tour they would take me to Hurghada Airport by 22:00. My flight home would leave at 03:50 on December 29, arriving Houston at 19:05 on December 29.

Hopefully my itinerary helps you figure out your travel plan.

Thanks. I may use them for riding around Hurghada, as they don't offer the Hurghada - Port Ghalib.

Of course yes, just ask them.... in Egypt, everything is always possible and can be arranged... if they say no, it's because they don't want, not because it is not posssible

It’s OK for me. It’s my first time going from Hurghada to Port Ghalib. On the return, I’ll be going to Luxor then back to Hurghada.
Did you book the day trip to Luxor through Aggressor? Was it worth it? What do the logistics look like? I'm doing the same trip this coming September. Debarking at Port Ghalib on Saturday morning and my flight out of Hurghada isn't until early Sunday morning. Wouldn't mind heading out to Luxor if it's convenient.

Did you book the day trip to Luxor through Aggressor? Was it worth it? What do the logistics look like? I'm doing the same trip this coming September. Debarking at Port Ghalib on Saturday morning and my flight out of Hurghada isn't until early Sunday morning. Wouldn't mind heading out to Luxor if it's convenient.

Talk to Lisa at Aggressor, she is awesome. I hope you're doing the brothers route. Several from our boat went to Luxor, I am glad I didnt. I went to the Marriot in Hurghada and enjoyed a day at the beach, a massage and a nice dinner.

PS - Luxor makes for a LONG --- day trip!!!!

No. I booked it through marsaalam.com at about half the price of Aggressor Travel. It is totally worth it. I highly recommend them.

Here is the itinerary given to me by Safwat, the marsaalam.com reservation manager (He was also my guide, an Egyptologist, who has been guiding tourist for over 20 years):

“On arrival at Hurghada airport on the 21st of Dec at 2:55 hrs and on your way out from the arrival hall you will find our driver waiting for you holding a sign with your name on to take you to Lilly Apartments and payment of 15 euros to be made to him please.

On the 21st of Dec at 12:00 hrs other driver, Shazly, will pick you up from Lilly Apartments to take you to Aggressor 1 at Port Ghalib marina and total payment of 176 euros (76 euros transfer + 100 euros deposit for luxor trip) to be made to him please and you will get a receipt with the payment as well as a free SIM card charged with 3 gb data bundle to be connected.

On the 28th of Dec at 4:00 hrs our driver, Shazly, will pick you up from the boat at Port Ghalib marina to take you for that one day trip to Luxor and the rest of the payment 210 euros (including private guide, entrance tickets, lunch, boat trip, walking tour, bottled water and travel permits) will be made to your private English speaking Egyptologist guide when you meet him at Luxor. You will visit three tombs in the Valley of the Kings, the Temple of Hatshepsut and the Colossi of Memnon and then lunch in an oriental restaurant. Then enjoying a boat trip on the Nile for around 45 minutes till the car make it back to the city around the bridge

Next, you will explore the vast Temple of Karnak, then can have a walking tour around the town center. Afterwards the driver finally will drop you off at Hurghada airport about 9:30pm to catch your flight .

Kind Regards
Safwat
Reservation Manager
marsaalam.com
+201010945699

Talk to Lisa at Aggressor, she is awesome. I hope you're doing the brothers route. Several from our boat went to Luxor, I am glad I didnt. I went to the Marriot in Hurghada and enjoyed a day at the beach, a massage and a nice dinner.

PS - Luxor makes for a LONG --- day trip!!!!

I am indeed doing the brothers route on the RSA III. I booked back when it was still going to be the RSA I, and have no idea what that boat will look like, but I'm sure it'll be decent.

Thanks for the detail @Dan that's very helpful. It does sound like it would make for a very long day and I do value relaxation and try to avoid incremental stress when on vacation. Might have to do it another time.

It was a long day, but I figured I was there already and won’t be back for who knows when and would have another 5-hour nap in the car from Port Ghalib to Luxor. Just took 20mg of melatonin, put on earplugs & blindfold I was in la-la land until the driver woke me up when we arrived in Luxor.

From time of the year point of view, September may be too hot so, you may be better off to cool off & relax in a hotel pool. December is the perfect time for me to be there. May be the weather is still tolerable until March-April. If I ever want to go back there, April would be the latest.

I am indeed doing the brothers route on the RSA III. I booked back when it was still going to be the RSA I, and have no idea what that boat will look like, but I'm sure it'll be decent.

I hope you have a bunch of our crew - the service was outstanding.

DMs Katya, Mahmood and Eashad were great. Heygazi and Ali stewards were awesome. The food was awesome, they even made me homemade felafel just for asking!

Back
Top Bottom