Diver Training, Has It Really Been Watered Down???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my opinion all dives should be planned. What is your sac rate? Estimated gas usage after we spend 15 minutes in the 5 meter section and head to the 14 meter section. How long will you be able to spend at 14 meters before you need to begin the ascent? Anything less is a trust me dive IMO.
I have downloaded it and will be reading through it today. Thanks for sharing!
You did see what I was referring to? I was responding to someone talking about a “square profile” on a dive with a max depth. “Square profile” means that they are calculating max bottom time based on NDL and what group they will exit the water as... I did mention entry, exit, turn pressure and destinations on the dive. That sounds like a plan to me. This dive on a single tank is a nothing burger from the perspective of dive tables.

Sometime going to the bathroom at work does require substantial planning. I once had a boss that would alway “coincidentally” end up in the men’s room whenever I was there, to the point that I would go to a different floor, then ultimately to a different building.
Do you bring a redundant TP roll? Planning is everything.....

Do you bring a redundant TP roll? Planning is everything.....
With the current state of environmental services where I work, I’m sure some people wished they did. We have those boxy plastic TP holders with institutional grade paper, so my plan includes a visual check before committing to final deployment. :wink:

NEVER have a plan. That way, nothing can go wrong.
Perfect is the enemy of good. If I scrubbed every dive because there was something unexpected in the water, I would be driving a lot and diving very little. Good planning is adaptive. If Flipper wants to play in the cove, I am not swimming past him because I planned on visiting the rock pile.

This dive on a single tank is a nothing burger from the perspective of dive tables.
I teach the rule of 120 for dive planning. That and understanding/knowing your SAC and you can get a handle on the limiting factor in a dive PDQ.

I teach the rule of 120 for dive planning. That and understanding/knowing your SAC and you can get a handle on the limiting factor in a dive PDQ.

Not sure I know the rule of 120. Can you elaborate please?

Depth (in feet) and NDL added together come out to 120 (for air)

Comes out roughly the same as the Navy Tables

100' for 20 min, 50' for 70 min etc etc

Brendon, Turk's been metricfied now you'll confuse him :eek:

And if it's EAN32, then we use the rule of 140.

We never, ever dive on that rule. It's a sanity check and/or for a rough plan. Use the PDC that God gave you... er that you bought! :D :D :D

I do plan to get back to land however.

That's the most important part of my plan, everything else is orchestrated to that end. Diving a 120 locally the major limitation is getting out of the water before I'm hypothermic. Towards the end of the dive I'm always in the shallows close to the exit. Other times conditions are different and the dive is more work, I have to insure I'm at the exit with enough reserve energy to make a safe exit.

In any dive there is a limiting factor, it's not always gas or NDL, and a good diver will know his limitations, then plans and acts accordingly.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom