How much experience before using a GoPro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Orestis82

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I want to be able to share some highlights of my dives with wife and friends, so I’m thinking of getting a GoPro or similar on a fix mount (mask or wrist or similar), and keep it recording in the background.

I don’t want to get overwhelmed though so I was wondering at which point it would be appropriate.

dude I see em everywhere, straight out of class the ones that shouldn't have passed
snap snap snap paying no attention to their spg snap snap crashing into the bottom
more snapping then pshhhht on the inflator up they go and starts again the process

utilising technology as a simpler path to increasing their trajectory to more stupidity

instead of utilising it for good like a superhero would

Mask and wrist mounts make very poor footage, they are incredibly unstable. (You never realize how much you move your head until you watch it)

If you want a Go- Pro get it on a simple extension pole or tray.

First make sure you have good control of your buoyancy and awareness of your surroundings, ive seen too many new divers drop like a brick or decimate the corals the second they take their go-pro out because they forget to focus on buoyancy and they have little to no awareness of their surroundings.

Once you are comfortable in the water and have good control of your buoyancy it will come naturally so you will be able to just enjoy the dive and video with out a hassle.

Please don't do a mask mount unless your point is to make your audience sick. Wrist is probably worse,

To happy's point, the reef will probably appreciate it if you can keep from bouncing off it while filming.Or standing on it.

You can get a tray but that will tie up your right hand while filming - or both to hold it steadier, GoPro's are inherently unstable by design, small lens, small camera in surge conditions doesn't work great.

Someone on our side of the pond also sells a BC mount - it mounts on a shoulder strap and positions the camera low on your chest. It will still be affected by the movement of your body though.

It's little things you don't think of. I've got some great shark footage as I followed some circling me (non-aggressive) about 1/2 way through I decided to look at my wrist computer - the dip in the footage is noticeable and occurred right when one posed for his close-up. It's my current avatar.

I'd say it depends on your skill level, comfort and situational awareness.

A lot of people hate the GoPro Jerks because they get so fixated and selfish zipping around sticking the camera in everyone's way scaring creatures. Just remember that reputation because you may get a backlash. Having a GoPro doesn't make you a jerk with a GoPro.. being a Jerk does. Attitude matters a lot in this decision.

If you want something filming without a lot of movement or fuss. I suggest you have one mounted on a flexible arm attached to a shoulder strap. That way you can aim it turn it on and leave it. The shoulder mount minimizes the jumpy filming quite well.

I would say when you can adjust and hold your position in the water without much thought, and have enough situational awareness left over to keep from banging into things or kicking up the bottom. I take it as a given that if you're concentrating on filming you won't be able to keep an eye on your buddy, so make sure he's OK with that.

As a new or new-ish diver, you’ll want to minimize task loading. Get a mask or shoulder mount, set it before the dive, and forget it. Either of those options (I have both, but tend to use the mask mount) result in zero drain on your attention/focus.

I like my mask mounted setup, but I’m using it for me...to capture the occasional brief clip of something neat or to edit out an individual image of something cool later. I generally use my GoPro videos more to chop out pictures later though.

The mask mount is fine for that kind of thing. I like it because It results in no drain on your attention, unlike keeping it in your hand. That being said, if you’re a wannabe film producer and plan on uploading videos online of your adventures, don’t get a mask mount.

I’ve uploaded a couple x < 10 second clips to illustrate a point. Ex. Visibility sucked, check out this cool tooth I found, etc. If the videos are more for you and you’re going to be content with that level of sharing, the mask mount might be for you.

As a new or new-ish diver, you’ll want to minimize task loading. Get a mask or shoulder mount, set it before the dive, and forget it. Either of those options (I have both, but tend to use the mask mount) result in zero drain on your attention/focus.

I like my mask mounted setup, but I’m using it for me...to capture the occasional brief clip of something neat or to edit out an individual image of something cool later. I generally use my GoPro videos more to chop out pictures later though.

The mask mount is fine for that kind of thing. I like it because It results in no drain on your attention, unlike keeping it in your hand. That being said, if you’re a wannabe film producer and plan on uploading videos online of your adventures, don’t get a mask mount.

I’ve uploaded a couple x < 10 second clips to illustrate a point. Ex. Visibility sucked, check out this cool tooth I found, etc. If the videos are more for you and you’re going to be content with that level of sharing, the mask mount might be for you.
This is exactly what I’m looking for. I love to just have my actual eyes and attention around me, and not on a tiny screen. I do that above the surface all the time :(

Any suggestions for shoulder mounts? Casual google didn’t bring anything useful up.

This is what I used for past four years for my go pro. I also have a macro lens as well I can swap.

Do not leave it on. You can set it up so that you only need to use the top button and it will record video then you stop the video it powers off. Waste battery and lots of bad footage if you just leave it on. The platform allows you to be very stable with the Go Pro.

Attachments

• 10100.jpg
    10100.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 114
First a camera can be distracting. I only take video when opportunity comes to me. I do not chase the marine life.
I was luck to get a dive with a whale shark that was doing large circles around lots of divers. I just kept in the same position and depth and took video when the whale shark came past me.

Also hand held is not good that's why I use that platform.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom