Cleaning a used wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SnorkelingCowboy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Howdy just picked up a wetsuit at a yard sale. How do I clean it to use and how do I maintain it?

if you have a washing machine without an agitator, run it through the washing machine, obviously don't use bleach. Don't leave it outside, don't leave it in the garage, bring it inside and hang it up on a wetsuit hanger. pretty easy

an excerpt from ScubaDiving Magazine. I use a wetsuit shampoo and follow the directions below.

Soak It
As soon as you can, soak your wetsuit in cold or lukewarm fresh water (hot water can cause the suit to lose flexibility) with a mild solution of baking soda or wetsuit shampoo. using a mild detergent will keep the neoprene from taking on an odor. soak for about 30 minutes. Turn the suit inside out and let soak for an additional 30 minutes.

Scrub It
During the soak, scrub zippers and velcro patches with a toothbrush. Work the zipper car up and down to dislodge any dirt.

Rinse It
After soaking, give the suit a thorough rinse, inside and out.

Inspect It
Look for tears or gouges, especially along the seams. If necessary, resew the nylon with heavy polyester thread, or repair the neoprene with wetsuit cement.

Hang It
Turn the wetsuit inside out, and hang it on a flat hanger out of direct sunlight. turn it right-side out and repeat.

Store It
Store it on the hanger or loosely folded, and keep it where the temperature is consistent.

A good soak and wash in Simple Green helps too.
Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 2.52.24 PM.png

I use Jaws Slosh Wetsuit Shampoo because it is eco-friendly.

as mentioned simple green and if you can get theres a product used for cleaning and sterilising ccr loops in a tablet form (dive gear express) you can use -kills all sorts of nasties and freshens it up

In the bath with woolwash, and hot able to put your hand in without stripping skin, water
and don't forget to do behind the ears

or acid

Steramine or Virkon??????

Back
Top Bottom