Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi there, I’m new to underwater photography and have just gotten myself an Olympus TG6. I particularly like the macro function on it. I’m wanting to get a housing so that I can do deeper dives with it but am unsure about which one to choose between the Olympus housing, Seafrog housing or Ikelite. The cheapest option for me is the Seafrog but I’ve heard of people having issues with the control buttons working. Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions about which housing to use? P.s, if anyone has the Olympus one - can you tell me if the internal flash still works in the housing? Thanks!

Look at all housing specifications closely. Eventually, no matter what you buy, you will probably want to add a strobe. Some housings do NOT come with the ability to connect an optical sync cord (none for the TG-6 have electrical sync options).

The PT-059 is an excellent housing and does work with the on-camera flash. Fair warning; in our murky water it's really only good to about 12in, in other words acceptable to very good for macro work, but not at all good for longer range work (the on-camera flash, that is).

The PT-059 does come with a mask / mount for optical sync cables, and can handle the two common connections (bare cable and plug-in). It has blanking plugs for the hole you don't use if you don't plug in two cables.

I've used on-camera flash for several dives now and it's really very good for macro, especially on high f-stops (to black out the background).

I also tried my Kraken 3000 ring light with less than enthusiastic results:
pro - it fits the housing if you buy a 52-67mm step up ring, which is really inexpensive
pro - it does work, and will trigger the 'strobe' optically
con - it blocks the on-camera flash so you must use it
con - it's so close to the flash plate that you can't add any normal sync cord plate. I sort of jammed the cord into the slot on the top. It worked but I can't say I was happy about it
BIG MINUS - it gave good 'video' light for macro, but the strobe function is just too underpowered to deliver really great photos. Like the on-board strobe, it's range is very limited as well.

Tomorrow I'm trying my new Inon S2000 and can report back.

I bought the PT 059 housing with my TG6. Instead of strobes I am using two Big Blue VL4200P lights.
I have used them before with my Go Pro and they are fantastic so will work well with the TG6.

The platform is a self designed unit.

Attachments

• TG6 & BIG BLUE VL4200P.jpg
    TG6 & BIG BLUE VL4200P.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 402
Thank you so much for the picture of your setup
I bought the PT 059 housing with my TG6. Instead of strobes I am using two Big Blue VL4200P lights.
I have used them before with my Go Pro and they are fantastic so will work well with the TG6.

The platform is a self designed unit.[/QUOT

The platform is a self designed unit.

Thank you so much for the picture of your setup

You are welcome. What I have found so far with the Go Pro and lights with the platform is that I can hold onto the two handles and the platform is like a wing in the water, you glide and also you do not tilt left or right like hand held or those using sticks. So you get nice stable video. Another advantage is that sometimes I want to set it down on the sand or elsewhere to get those perfectly stable video.

You can see in this video my dive buddies pass me thinking I am filming rocks again. You can see then I get close enough for the lights to work and also I set the platform down to get some stable video and also to give this octopus some space hoping it wouldn't get curious and take my platform lol. Also trying to not stress the octopus which was bitten by a parrot fish later on in the video.

I hope the TG6 will do great macro for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom