How much experience before using a GoPro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is exactly what I’m looking for. I love to just have my actual eyes and attention around me, and not on a tiny screen. I do that above the surface all the time :(

Any suggestions for shoulder mounts? Casual google didn’t bring anything useful up.

This is what I’ve got. I have not used it enough to form much of an opinion about it though. It does seem to have decent reviews.

Z Gear BCD GoPro Mount

First a camera can be distracting. I only take video when opportunity comes to me. I do not chase the marine life.
I was luck to get a dive with a whale shark that was doing large circles around lots of divers. I just kept in the same position and depth and took video when the whale shark came past me.

Also hand held is not good that's why I use that platform.

That is INCREDIBLE footage wow! That is on my bucketlist for sure holy crap!

I'm not following how that platform actually works and stabilizes it - how do you hold it still?

I have a goPro and took it with me on my AOW dives and got some cool footage, but I wasn't getting in the way or anything. I got some cool footage of a wreck and on the deep dive how the colors are a lot less down there. We did some swim throughs too which I got on video at a reef at like 40' which was cool. I just have a little hand held "handle" that I have mine mounted to.

I unfortunately had it in like the extra wide mode and did not realize until I was done diving.

I would start with a flash light. A what?
If you can dive to the point where you are in control and you are holding a flashlight steady, now you can think of bringing a camera with you. If you can't multitask enough to keep the simple beam of light from a flash light stable, the camera will be useless.

I sometimes bring a GoPro along, but I generally find its use distracting and detracts from the value of my dive.

it depends on your skill level, comfort and situational awareness.
Seconded. If you're able to stay roughly at one place in the water and always remember that your first, second and third priority should be your diving, and have your camera on a leash so you can just drop it if somerthing more important comes up, you're good to go. Provided, of course that you also remember not to be a jerk towards other divers.

Some divers are at that level straight out of OW, others never get there. The majority are somewhere between those extremes.

This is what I’ve got. I have not used it enough to form much of an opinion about it though. It does seem to have decent reviews.

Z Gear BCD GoPro Mount
That's the one I referred to in my post.

I love to just have my actual eyes and attention around me, and not on a tiny screen.
Have your GoPro on a leash, dive. When you see something cool, enjoy it, and then pick up the camera to take a shot. Drop the camera, continue diving.

That's what I do whether I bring my GoPro or my "serious" stills rig. I get to enjoy the dive, and as a bonus I get more out of the dive since I'm actively scouting for cool subjects. Which increases my awareness of my surroundings. Win-win.

I would start with a flash light. A what?
If you can dive to the point where you are in control and you are holding a flashlight steady, now you can think of bringing a camera with you. If you can't multitask enough to keep the simple beam of light from a flash light stable, the camera will be useless.

I did my first dive with a flashlight last week and I think it went pretty good. Had it strapped to my wrist so I could let go if needed, but I never felt any issue with it. Was pretty shallow too (2m) so I’m fairly happy with my buoyancy given my experience. I need to get a bit deeper to factor in other things too of course.

Full disclosure; I'm absolutely crap at both photography and videography. However on the rare occasions I do take along a GoPro, I have a very low cost mounting solution that involves a boltsnap and cable tie, which I clip off to my shoulder D ring. I've also set the camera to video upsidedown. With that it's a simple unclip, point and shoot.

That is INCREDIBLE footage wow! That is on my bucketlist for sure holy crap!
I'm not following how that platform actually works and stabilizes it - how do you hold it still?

If you look at the platform there are two handles each side. One hand on each. The platform is like a wing so it glides under water and you also it does not tilt like your hand can. So it's easy to keep it stable. Another thing is that it is very light so I can set it down and let it take video. Take a look at the platform again. I also have a macro lens as well I can swap out the red filter as they both are tied onto the light mounts and cannot be lost.

Attachments

• 10100.jpg
    10100.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 61
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom