trip report - August 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great reports and pics as usual Jim !! Thanks so much for sharing them. :)

Only 7 more months (but who is counting) until I return to my favourite dive resort.

Always love it when I get to the front gate, and to check-in when they say "welcome home". :thumb:

Divegoose

outstanding shots shared! Had never seen several of your finds. Thank you for taking the time to post for those of us dreaming of the island and missing the blue water life! Beautiful photography! Enjoy your new toy!

Thanks for posting. Why the camera change Jim?
I've always been frustrated using my wide angle lens u/w when I encounter something small I would like to take a picture of. My EM-5 with the 14-54 allows me to take small stuff and shoot semi-wide so I rarely set up for WA with the 8mm FE. I refuse to open the housing on the boat to change lenses in fear of getting any water in the housing. In Cozumel the first boat dive is usually on a deep site where WA is better suited, and the second dive on a shallow reef with lots of fish and macro opportunities. So, what's the solution? I could buy another camera body and housing to carry on the boats but that's $$, adds weight to my luggage, and doesn't address the problem of shooting WA and macro on the same dive.

With a TG 6, I can carry two cameras on dives where I want to shoot wide angle but also be able to take a picture of a pipehorse if I see one. I just clip off the TG 6 to my BC and go diving. The setup is small, light, and doesn't take up much room in my camera bag. It also serves as a backup camera should, God forbid, I flood my EM-5.

Jack Connick at Optical Ocean Sales had a camera and Oly housing in stock so I bought it to take with me to Cozumel. He also asked for feedback.

Don't get me wrong, I love my EM-5 but the TG 6 is a marvelous camera for u/w photography. I wanted to give the little camera a thorough workout in Cozumel to see that it would do and I was not disappointed.

The biggest eye-opener was shooting the TG 6 with a borrowed WA lens adapter that screws onto the front of the housing. Wow! Great WA images that really "pop." The adapter can be taken off and put back on underwater.

I'm not abandoning my EM-5 but I do like the TG 6 a lot!

Wonderful pics! Thanks for sharing.
PS: this is the main reason I don't carry a camera. I love to focus on what's there and other people take great pictures for me to enjoy. I'll be there in a week ! :D

Which strobes are you using on the TG6? And assuming they are different from the OMD EM5.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom