Suggestions for Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sefuchs

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking for suggestions for a Belize diving trip for my wife & I. We usually get to Cozumel a couple time a year but want to change it up a bit next year. I'd prefer to do a LOB but is not an option for my wife. We stayed at Ramon's on Ambergris Caye a few years back and was very disappointed with the diving (Ramon's was great) so thinking we want to stay out near Lighthouse Reef, Long or Half Moon Caye.

We don't require top end accoumodations but clean & comfortable (especially beds!) are important. Decent food is also important, that's one reason we like Cozumel so much. Other activities are not a big deal; 2-3 dives a day, good meals, maybe a snooze in the afternoon and cocktails in the evening is really all we are looking for.

So far Turneffe Island Resort & Huracan Resort seem to be the "standouts". TIR seems overpriced, Huracan looks to fit our bill but no A/C so not sure I can handle the heat.

Any suggestions?

For the best variety of dive sites and convenience you can't beat the Aggressor fleet.

No traveling hours each way to reach the best offshore sites, 2 different dive sites every day, 5 dives including a night dive and the dive platform is literally right outside your door.

@caruso - I know, I know I've spent hours trying to talk my wife into it! We did a 2 week LOB trip to Raja Ampat earlier this year and it was just too much boat time for her. Myself, I just I can't hardly wait until the next LOB trip!

@caruso - I know, I know I've spent hours trying to talk my wife into it! We did a 2 week LOB trip to Raja Ampat earlier this year and it was just too much boat time for her. Myself, I just I can't hardly wait until the next LOB trip!

My girlfriend's the same way. After our Belize livaboard trip she said "I enjoy diving but a week on a boat is too much for me". Although I think she'd be flexible down the line.

My girlfriend's the same way. After our Belize livaboard trip she said "I enjoy diving but a week on a boat is too much for me". Although I think she'd be flexible down the line.

Have you considered Nitrox? :thumb:

You could check out my report on Glover’s Reef Atoll and see if it fits your requirements. No AC but it was not necessary—lovely breezes.

Leaving from the West Coast you ought to consider the Philippines. Seriously better quality diving and cheaper, too.

@FT - Yes your report is very helpful, thank you. I will look into Glover's resort. Maybe I'm a whimp but no A/C still has me concerned.

Would love to go to Philippines but wife has limited vacation time and flights are so long. Went to Raja Ampat earlier this year and was awesome!

If you've been to Ambergrtis and didn't like it, then you need to stay on one of the outer Atolls. To piggy back on FT's comments - check out Off the Wall.

Belize Diving & Snorkeling Resort | Glovers Reef | Off The Wall Belize

Also no AC, but having stayed out there 3 times it never bothered me (during late Dec/ early Jan)....and I am someone who is ALWAYS hot :)

VERY quiet and intimate resort (I think max capacity is 10-12 guests). All rooms right on the water. Small island (maybe 15 acres) that you can circumnavigate on foot in about 15 minutes. It looks like you are in the Madlives out there...with aquamarine water dotted with small atoll islands. One side of the island has the atoll wall just a few hundred yards offshore. Definitely some of the better diving in Belize. American expat husband-wife owners Jim and Kendra are really fun and treat guests like family. 3-4 minute boat rides for diving. Although there are day boats that sometimes come out there, you have dives sites to yourself. Good food. Lots of rave reviews on Trip Advisor. That said, you have to have a little bit of an "adventure" mindset. No in room plumbing or showers (composting toilets and sun-heated showers)...although this sounds worse than it is. It's all tastefully done and eco-friendly. They do have weak wifi...but it you want to feel like you've truly "gotten away from it all" this is the place. FT's report has some great pics.

In my opinion Huracan edges out Off The Wall in regards to the diving (slightly) but in about everything else Off The Wall gets more checks on the list. One of the biggest issues with Huracan is that it is in a building built as a Hurricane shelter. Beautiful building, but it is inland and there is no breeze. When we were there, their battery reserve was not sufficient to keep the fans going all night and the fans kicked off about 04:00. The fans they had were poor at best. They would start the generator at about 05:30ish to start breakfast and coffee. The nights were not very comfortable, to say the least. They may have gotten the battery issue straightened out since then. As has been mentioned, the cabanas at Off The Wall are right on the windward side and a cool breeze makes things very comfortable every night. Rooms are basic, but sufficient. Food is family style and very good. The owners Jim and Kendra are great folks!
We've been returning to Turneffe Island Resort as of late and are going back again for 10 days this winter. If you go during the reduced price period it's not too bad rate wise for what you get. We love the staff and the service and it just keeps drawing us back. We keep planning on getting back to Off The Wall one of these days and have stayed there twice.
Another place you may take a look at is Anthony's Key on Roatan. Pretty good bang for the buck there. Get a Key superior room and they have air conditioning and comfortable rooms/beds. Diving is good, bigger resort and usually bigger boats/dive groups. We've stayed there twice as well and wouldn't hesitate to go back.

Back
Top Bottom