trip report - August 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sea and Sea YS d1 strobes, the same ones I use with the EM 5.

Thanks. I have a friend I am trying to set up with an Oly/Nauticam system and YS-D1's are discontinued and most strobes now have TTL which he doesn't want (all manual). So probably YS-D2s.

This is the main reason I don't carry a camera. I love to focus on what's there and other people take great pictures for me to enjoy.

My sentiments exactly! Plus the added expense (to an already expensive hobby) and hassle of dealing with all that equipment has made it an easy decision not to get into underwater photography. However, after viewing OPs amazing pics I'm thinking that maybe I'M THE ONE missing out on & they (photographer) are more focused on what's there & "living in the moment" than me.

Would be potentially quite funny to have a contest where everyone adds captions to your photos as you did here
“Hey, you! Yes, I’m talking to you! Take that camera and put it where the sun don’t shine!”
Spinyhead blenny (Acanthemblemaria spinosa)

and here
Red hind (Epinephelus guttatus)
I don’t think you were inoculated against measles! Worst case I’ve ever seen.

Anyway, great pics, thx 4 posting!

Thanks for the awesome photos & all the work of editing & getting them named properly. I had to finish editing my own photos from the last event before enjoying yours. It's nice to hear your thoughts on the TG 6 which would likely be my choice should my current P & S die in the near future. As always your macro stuff blows me away. Until I buy a prescription mask I can't see that stuff clearly enough to photograph it. I may not have the patience to hunt for it either but old age is slowing me down.

Larry

Thanks for the awesome photos & all the work of editing & getting them named properly. I had to finish editing my own photos from the last event before enjoying yours. It's nice to hear your thoughts on the TG 6 which would likely be my choice should my current P & S die in the near future. As always your macro stuff blows me away. Until I buy a prescription mask I can't see that stuff clearly enough to photograph it. I may not have the patience to hunt for it either but old age is slowing me down.

Larry
You're welcome. Bite the bullet and buy that prescription mask! Just think of all the little stuff you're missing.

After playing with the TG 6, I can't really call it a P & S. The little camera's brain is the same one used in Oly's flagship camera, the EM-1.

The fact of the matter is that I don't know how much longer to keep diving. I've outlived the family tree by several years & I don't want to end someone else's trip by having a medical emergency at depth. My wife has no issues thinking about something bad happening because she knows I'm so happy underwater & that it's not a bad way to go compared to people suffering through cancer etc. I had to dive using a rented computer last trip which made me a bit uncomfortable plus for whatever reason I had a hard time climatizing but once I was underwater I was just so relaxed it was great. Next winter's trip will sort of set the stage for whether or not I feel good about continuing to keep diving.
As for Olympus cameras I was involved in a conversation Sat about the new high end mirrorless cameras from Canon & Nikon and my advice was if the friend asking was seriously thinking of upgrading he needed to look at Olympus.

Nice report and excellent photos. I'm a little surprised that you had some wild currents at this time of the year.

What was the water temp.?

Nice report and excellent photos. I'm a little surprised that you had some wild currents at this time of the year.
They can, and do, happen at all times of the year.

Forgot to mention looking at your gorgeous photos is like taking a Reef Class. I've taken the class with Debby Bollag so it's like a refresher. I'll never get the Latin, but the common names work for me. I enjoy knowing what I'm looking at. Sharpnose Puffer!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom