How cool is this? Diving at 96 years of age

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pretty amazing! Should be reassuring to the many people who come on here and ask if they are too old to take up diving :)

Great dive site, at least I can say I've been there done that and got the t-shirt too, but I am 30 years younger :D

The Guinness World Records world record for the oldest scuba diver (from shore) is Saul Moss (Australia, b. 27 July 1924) who completed an unassisted dive at Bare Island, Sydney, Australia, on 1 August 2009, at the age of 85 years and 14 days.Sep 6, 2017 World Record for oldest unassisted scuba dive - Google Search

@Searcaigh I can say I was there when this record was set. We met up with our normal dive buddies for our normal time and place to dive. Conditions were pretty ordinary with clearly poor viz. We figured we could to the dive any time so we all opted for calling the dive and going for coffee.

Saul's dive had been planned for some time. Media were there, Guinness World Record Representative and it was set up as a Charity fund raiser. Canceling the dive for anything other than safety was not an option for him. When asked by the media how he enjoyed the dive Saul said it was one of the worst dives he had done with lousy viz and wasn't worth the air except for the record and fund raising! We knew we had made the right choice but I admit it was interesting watching all the production while staying warm and dry

FYI
The worlds first female underwater (SCUBA) instructor is 96 year old Dottie Frazer.

In 1956 (63 years ago) she was the first female to be accepted and compete the demanding LA Co UW instructors' course (UICC). Therefore the first female underwater (SCUBA as it is now called ) instructor in the world ( She was followed by Barbara Allen in 1957and Zale Parry in 1958 (@drbills close personal friend )

She is alive an well - still diving !

She will be honored at the Historical Diving Society (HDS) meeting next month in Santa Barbara California..

SDM

Leni Riefenstahl released her "underwater impressions" on her 100th birthday, although IIRC she did the last of the shooting a year or two prior. That would've been at 98 or so.

I plan to be diving some kind of James Bond secret squirrel diving unit when I hit 100. I’ll post here to let you know how it goes :D

I'll be here wsiting! That is if I'm not out diving.

Back
Top Bottom