Which liveaboard on Explorer Ventures?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with most of these comments, having been on both boats. CEX is cheaper but less comfortable, smaller, mostly OK diving, some exceptional. TCEX is a nice boat (been on it three times, including its route to the Southern Bahamas), but you need to be prepared for deepish dives.....no mucking around looking for small stuff in 30 ft of water.

But lots of mucking around in 60'

My buddy has done both, he preferred the T/C Explorer - both the diving and the size of the boat.

I basically lived on the flybridge all week, there's padded benches, tables and stocked drinks. A couple mornings I slept up there.

If it's a full boat the dive deck can be a little crowded. 15 mins after it opened to diving it was deserted so I could leisurely gear up and splash.

If you like seeing sharks that ignore you, West Caicos and French Cay are the places for that. Lots of them. Plus lots of stingrays near the moorings.

If you're solo and going to share a cabin, get one on the main deck, they have individual beds instead of bunks and ours was big enough to have a corner desk which was also the wide part of the room leading to the bathroom - which was suprisingly spacious except the shower was for shorter people.

Plus the lounge/dining room is just down the hall and past that the dive deck.

Also, T&C a little easier on water entry. The other was kind of a high giant stride off the side.

so the st maarten one is NOT side mount friendly then ? at least not for doubles ?

T&C for sure. I will be on the T&C Explorer next week for the 2nd time. Awesome boat, great crew and some really good diving. Hoping for more sharks this time.

Wow, thanks for all the advice and information. Scubaboard rocks! I think I will go with Turks and Caicos, both based on your advice, and the ease and cost of flights from upstate NY.

I think the T&C is the better choice. If not nitrox certified get so before you go or do it on the boat. As said, dives begin at 60 feet. If no nitrox you might make it to Monday lunch before you have to sit out a while. The food will definitely be better on the TandC boat.

I think the T&C is the better choice. If not nitrox certified get so before you go or do it on the boat. As said, dives begin at 60 feet. If no nitrox you might make it to Monday lunch before you have to sit out a while. The food will definitely be better on the TandC boat.
Thanks! I am going on Sept 28.

Do the T&C route.

I have done the other and it was OK - the price point though top shelf.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom