Countdown to CocoView!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only real differences from from your trip five years ago will be the absences of Doc Radawski and Nora. I’m planning a trip next year and know that I’ll miss them both when I get there. I used to bring Doc a bottle of red wine - no more. Sigh.

The only real differences from from your trip five years ago will be the absences of Doc Radawski and Nora. I’m planning a trip next year and know that I’ll miss them both when I get there. I used to bring Doc a bottle of red wine - no more. Sigh.

Yeah, I had thought about that. Don't remember Nora as much since I had a lot more interaction with Doc. We got him talking about the old days a couple of times and will miss his stories and presentations for sure.

deleted

@Daebado You’re going to be there for the Dark of the New Moon. This is the start of a very interesting activity cycle that will evolve over the next 30 days following. Perfect night diving moments!

Hey Doc, never heard back from you on this. Can you shed a little light on what this activity cycle would be? Certainly don't want to miss it but I'm not sure what to be looking for! Thanks!

August in the Caribbean is a very busy time if you’re a critter. Everything is mating, eating, being eaten. The Western Caribbean is a concentration of this- I always guessed the zonality was an effect of local current absence, higher water temps, and distance from common Atlantic Pelagics.

Now, add into the mix the unusual underwater geography that CCV sits right on top of. It’s in the middle of a Southern facing wall, which means it is in full Sunshine all day, meaning it sees the Moon which follows the same track. Light = Life.

This peculiar reef wall is unique in another critical way: it’s coral heads start in the shallows of 5 fsw and “break”, or go down, in a straight drop wall to 90’ sand. It presents this flat face straight square to that Sun.

I read things that often contradict my quantitative observations- I’m talking about a basic quantitative thing such as water temperature. You’re at the height of water temps in August. Due to my preoccupation with critter behavior, I am constantly observing and recording accurate readings. It is simply not uncommon to find shallow water temps in the “CCV 7 mile zone” of the high 80’s, usually in the 88f range. In the 5’ shallows, not surprising to find mid 90’s. Most divers spend little time in these depths (their loss) and very few are studiously reading temps. It’s hot up here, and newborns like heat (at the peril of getting eaten).

I’ve also often read the criticism “no big fish”. That’s a qualitative perception, but assume it if you must. What I disagree with is when they add in, “that’s why the fans rave about the macro, because there’s no big fish”.

No, we fans rave about South side macro because it is so highly localized and concentrated. Also because we are trained to see these things that most divers speed past.

So, if you are attuned to macro, or if you take a Naturalist Observer skills course (Patty and staff at CCVs Dockside Dive Center have it nailed) you’ll begin to see more than your buddies.

At this August Lunar cycle they will be out in force, again- I assume it’s some kinda natural yearly cycle....note the Coral Spawn is in this timeframe. As Doc Radawski said, “Everything’s eating or being eaten”.

Night dives are especially fun. Put your light below coral feeder polyps, watch the critters get sucked into that seemingly solid mass. Steven King type horror. Use those hoardes of Blood Worms to do this- feed the corals with your attractive light, feed the Basket Stars, yum. Put your light 6” in front of some big old Hermit Crab. Watch him eat.

Put your biggest light in the sand, pointed straight up. I do this in 40’ next to the PA Wreck, gather the group, campfire fashion, cover their lights, get close, have a good look.

224516-199ee6c73d4d6cb166028022ba48209c.jpg

Do the same thing in 4’ at the platform. Be patient. See who shows up. Larval Lobsters look just like micro Lobsters.

There’s always something to see, August is just rockin busy.

August in the Caribbean is a very busy time if you’re a critter. Everything is mating, eating, being eaten. The Western Caribbean is a concentration of this- I always guessed the zonality was an effect of local current absence, higher water temps, and distance from common Atlantic Pelagics.

Now, add into the mix the unusual underwater geography that CCV sits right on top of. It’s in the middle of a Southern facing wall, which means it is in full Sunshine all day, meaning it sees the Moon which follows the same track. Light = Life.

This peculiar reef wall is unique in another critical way: it’s coral heads start in the shallows of 5 fsw and “break”, or go down, in a straight drop wall to 90’ sand. It presents this flat face straight square to that Sun.

I read things that often contradict my quantitative observations- I’m talking about a basic quantitative thing such as water temperature. You’re at the height of water temps in August. Due to my preoccupation with critter behavior, I am constantly observing and recording accurate readings. It is simply not uncommon to find shallow water temps in the “CCV 7 mile zone” of the high 80’s, usually in the 88f range. In the 5’ shallows, not surprising to find mid 90’s. Most divers spend little time in these depths (their loss) and very few are studiously reading temps. It’s hot up here, and newborns like heat (at the peril of getting eaten).

I’ve also often read the criticism “no big fish”. That’s a qualitative perception, but assume it if you must. What I disagree with is when they add in, “that’s why the fans rave about the macro, because there’s no big fish”.

No, we fans rave about South side macro because it is so highly localized and concentrated. Also because we are trained to see these things that most divers speed past.

So, if you are attuned to macro, or if you take a Naturalist Observer skills course (Patty and staff at CCVs Dockside Dive Center have it nailed) you’ll begin to see more than your buddies.

At this August Lunar cycle they will be out in force, again- I assume it’s some kinda natural yearly cycle....note the Coral Spawn is in this timeframe. As Doc Radawski said, “Everything’s eating or being eaten”.

Night dives are especially fun. Put your light below coral feeder polyps, watch the critters get sucked into that seemingly solid mass. Steven King type horror. Use those hoardes of Blood Worms to do this- feed the corals with your attractive light, feed the Basket Stars, yum. Put your light 6” in front of some big old Hermit Crab. Watch him eat.

Put your biggest light in the sand, pointed straight up. I do this in 40’ next to the PA Wreck, gather the group, campfire fashion, cover their lights, get close, have a good look.

View attachment 534781

Do the same thing in 4’ at the platform. Be patient. See who shows up. Larval Lobsters look just like micro Lobsters.

There’s always something to see, August is just rockin busy.

Thanks, Doc. Awesome information and advice! We will be on the lookout for sure!
That Naturalist Observer course sounds like something we're going to have to check into as well.

Got to... make it.... through.... this... week!
We'll be at CCV on Saturday and the waiting is agony!

Is it weird that I'm spending my lunch hours tuned in to the front yard cam watching divers come in from their morning drop-off dive? And even better, if you tune in at the right time in the evening, you can follow the diver's lights during the night dives!

I know, I need a life but hey, admitting I have a problem is the first step, right? The next step is a week of therapy underwater!

:scubadiver:

Is it weird that I'm spending my lunch hours tuned in to the front yard cam watching divers come in from their morning drop-off dive? And even better, if you tune in at the right time in the evening, you can follow the diver's lights during the night dives!

Me too.

Tune in to a Front Yard Cam, Honduras Scuba Diving, Live Web Cams | CoCo View Resort

local time, at...

11:00 a.m. and then at 4:00 p.m. for divers making their shore exits

It’s the only thing that keeps me sane. That, and my cat.

Here now and it has been fantastic! But the weather is a little iffy come evening /noc. No night dives yesterday or today. I hear the weather Will be better tomorrow. The central ladder thing is super easy when it’s choppy.

Back
Top Bottom