Grand Cayman airport update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At least Cayman Airways moved you forward rather than back. I would have preferred that for sure! In fact I met a guy on my trip who didn't have to be at the airport so early and was willing to switch flights for his group with ours but Cayman Airways wanted $75 per person to make the change, we're talking 3 of his group and 3 of ours. That's right, after changing our flights twice and cutting our layover to under an hour, Cayman Airways wouldn't allow a simple switch without charging $450. We decided we'd risk a 50 minute layover but then they totally screwed us with the last minute diversion to Brac.

By the way- even if we hadn't been delayed and got to GC with a 50 minute layover, our luggage wouldn't ave made it. The agent told us that you need to be checked in at the airport 60 minutes before the flight for your luggage to be allowed on.
Exactly why I decided not to try to get all the way to and from Brac the same day. I’m flying into GCM the day before and out of GCM 2 days after Brac (an extra day to dive with friends who live on GC).

Since right now this is a well known issue, it would make sense to simply stay overnight in GC. When we go to see family in Europe we stay over in JFK so we don’t miss our connection even if it is a legal connection. Just not worth it for us to be stranded and ruin a trip.

CAL has already announced they are waiving change fees for passengers who need to fly through Miami or Tampa. If you are coming or going the time to change plans would be now as decent alternatives will be snapped up immediately!

Some of us only have a one week holiday at a time and staying an extra day on GC either end would mean 5 days of diving instead of 6. Caydiver, I don't know why you keep defending Cayman Airways for providing bad service. There are many other Caribbean vacation options and continued bad service means that divers like me will just potentially go to other places in future.

Because I use them at least bi-monthly and have less problems than on American My experiences have just been different. The couple of times that American carriers left us stranded once in Miami and once on GC, CAL took care of us and other hurricane stranded passengers. To me that counts big time.

@Doctorfish I think I understand some of your frustration, but the idea of writing off LC makes it sound like everybody has problems all the time. I've dived LC several times and haven't had issues. I know that's anecdotal (N=1), but I've also traveled with largish groups to LC without insurmountable issues. We've had a few bags arrive the next day, but you know that's a possibility and pack accordingly. The resorts are good about comping gear when needed. We did have a couple with a near miss on their connection on their way home this last trip, but they made it. Yes, Cayman Air can be a bit laid back especially on the otter flight schedules and that can be frustrating, but compared to the South Pacific, Indonesia, or Southeast Asia "puddle jumpers" when you have a lot more hanging on it and Cayman Airways can start to look pretty reasonable. I don't mean to discount the very valid issues you bring up (I apologize if it sounds that way :)) and I agree there is definitely room for improvement with CA especially on their international flights, but IMHO, it's a long way from keeping me from diving Bloody Bay Marine Park. Besides for me the otters are part of the adventure. :bounce::bounce::bounce:All IMHO, YMMV.

I don't know why you keep defending Cayman Airways for providing bad service. There are many other Caribbean vacation options and continued bad service means that divers like me will just potentially go to other places in future.

Agree. It's worse than just bad service. It's the "we don't give a crap about our customers" attitude. It's changing flight schedules twice (plus the questionable decision to go to Cayman Brac at the last minute for whatever reason which cost us our connecting flight) and cutting layovers so short that if you even make your flight your luggage won't, and being so inflexible that in order to change to an earlier flight will cost 100's of dollars.

The whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth and when considering future dive destinations for this reason LC is not on my repeat list. There are other places that are just as nice if not better and are easier to get to.

Just to add insult to injury. Upon arrival, we're sitting there at the correct announced gate at GC waiting for the LC flight to arrive- another part of our group was supposed to leave an hour earlier- they were still waiting for their flight- with no explanation given. So they call our flight, only 10 minutes late- but they announce a gate that is on the other side of the terminal! So we hightail it over to the other gate, as the agent is announcing "final boarding" less than 10 minutes after the first boarding announcement, even though no one is even at the gate yet! We find out that the agent was at that gate from a prior flight and didn't feel like walking to the gate we were waiting at so he simply changed it at the last minute. So all of us have to run dragging bags, because one gate agent didn't feel like walking.

Cayman Airways blows.

They already moved my GC to Brac flight in November from 9:50 AM to 6:45 AM! It will be an early morning wake-up but the upside is I can likely get some afternoon diving in when I get to Brac!

Just to let you know, if you arrive on Brac early you may not be able to check into the resort. The departing guests are checking out and the staff have to get the rooms turned over. Check-in time is in the afternoon but they will put you in a room just as soon as one is available.

You can leave your bags with the desk staff and go off and do what you want. You can relax by the pool and grab lunch at the bar - after the bar opens. You could arrange for a rental car and tour the island, or you can check in with the dive shop and perhaps arrange for an afternoon dive, but just make sure that you have everything you need handy.

Just to let you know, if you arrive on Brac early you may not be able to check into the resort. The departing guests are checking out and the staff have to get the rooms turned over. Check-in time is in the afternoon but they will put you in a room just as soon as one is available.

You can leave your bags with the desk staff and go off and do what you want. You can relax by the pool and grab lunch at the bar - after the bar opens. You could arrange for a rental car and tour the island, or you can check in with the dive shop and perhaps arrange for an afternoon dive, but just make sure that you have everything you need handy.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom