Bringing ashes (cremains) to Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How to Transport your loved ones ashes or urn on the Airlines

Have the funeral parlor use an "airline friendly" container (eg not metal). When we had my grandmother cremated there were teeth and a piece of metal that was part of a shoulder implant in the container of ashes. That could potentially cause TSA to investigate further. I would call American ahead of time and ask about it specifically.

Bring any paperwork you have regarding the cremation with you (certificate etc).

Any experience, advice, tips, etc. re bringing ashes (cremains) to the island? Traveling on American Airlines.
I did it many years ago.

The airlines were fine. I showed them my letter/certificate and they opened the carboard outter box lid and then 'swabbed' the inside plastic box (not opening it). Took an extra 15 mins but I got to the airport very early just in case I needed more time. In Coz, I got a green light so no stopping. Best tip is to take the ashes in a backpack. It's just one of those things that was so important I never wanted it to leave my sight, even going to the rest room.

As to the on water spreading, I'll keep those details private but I got it done exactly as the deceased wanted & didn't involve any of the dive operators. You've been down there so many times, you'll know what to do and how to do it.

Best of luck my friend !!
Johnoly

Any experience, advice, tips, etc. re bringing ashes (cremains) to the island? Traveling on American Airlines.

JL...

In NC in 2014 there was a burial on our charter...the urn which was made of Himilayan Pink salt was depositied in the rear torpedo loading hatch on the U-352...the urn settled out of sight...and I was adised at the time...the urn would be completely disolved in an hour...the urn rested on the charter boat in a multi corrigated cardboard box...this combination should travel with cabin luggage with no problem...assuming documentation is in order...

Respectfully...

Warren

Friend just did this, brought her husbands ashes down to Mexico.

There are regulations on the Mexican side you are supposed to follow. Involved getting official copies of several docs, going to the Mexican Consulate etc. Do you NEED to do all of that, maybe not. But do you want to take the chance at Mexican customs?

The salt urns are pretty cool, we put my wife's parents ashes in one into the Soundside at Pensacola Beach. We rented a boat and just did it. There are plenty of regs in the US as well. You know the ask forgiveness...

The salt urns are HEAVY. My friend found a paper based holder with a water soluble bag that worked very well at the beach.

Best tip is to take the ashes in a backpack. It's just one of those things that was so important I never wanted it to leave my sight, even going to the rest room.
Except that TSA gets very interested in any powders carried on. They seem less so in checked bags, but my baking soda still got swabbed as I watched. I always leave that in the original, sealed boxes.

My .02 cents ? Given that you're dealing with at least 4 inept and heavy-handed bureaucracies (2 governments, and an airline, plus TSA), I would rethink the hell outa this plan !!! I'm thinking it has the potential to go sideways and to de-rail a nice and expensive vacation (unless this is the entire point of the trip?)
Otherwise, all the above advice is solid. Check in advance with any and everybody, and have lots o' documentation. And I'd definitely go checked rather than carry-on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom