TG-5 & TG-6 Settings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like most guides they don't explain these cameras only have two actual apertures f2 and f2.8 when wide. f8 is achieved with an ND filter and gives no improvement to depth of field. It may come in handy to darken the background when shooting with flash that has enough power to work at f8.

Like most guides they don't explain these cameras only have two actual apertures f2 and f2.8 when wide. f8 is achieved with an ND filter and gives no improvement to depth of field. It may come in handy to darken the background when shooting with flash that has enough power to work at f8.
Disappointing! Essentially same as an old ixus 980!!!

I'm pretty sure the TG-6 has f8 as one of the 3 standard apertures. I use it almost exclusively with strobe to get really black backgrounds.

I'm pretty sure the TG-6 has f8 as one of the 3 standard apertures. I use it almost exclusively with strobe to get really black backgrounds.
Read this thread. Tough TG-5. No Aperture Control = Lack of Creativity?: Olympus Compact Camera Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

If you look at your EXIF data and DOF using f/8 and f/2.8, having changed your ISO to adjust to the same amount of light hitting the sensor, you'll see whether it is really f/8, or just f/2.8 with a ND filter.

Even at f/2.8 due to small sensor this camera has more depth of field of others
I wonder how it behaves when you zoom in and set the aperture to f/16 which really is f/6.3 will it keep shutter speed to 1/60 like most cameras due when using the in built flash resulting in light background or does it need to ramp up ISO to increase shutter speed but end up with grain noise
Back in the days of compact shutter priority was a much better choice of aperture priority if you didn’t have full manual as depth of field was never an issue

As I explained f8 is an aperture of f2.8 plus a 2 stop ND filter. It will work to get you black backgrounds as long as you have enough strobe power to expose correctly at f8 as flash will bottom out at 1/30 or you can use the minimum shutter speed feature with auto ISO. For wide angle work you would only want to use f2.8 unless the light was exceptionally bright. With the small sensor the crop factor is 5.6 so f2.8 is equivalent depth of field to f15.7 and f2 equivalent to f11 so you will likely never be wanting for Depth of field.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom